Question regarding iPods

AngraRULES

Aug 1, 2002
Visit site
My iPod's headphone jack is busted, so the only way to listen to it would be if I used it on a dock (speakers). Or, if I plugged it onto my car's stereo.

Now, my car's stereo doesn't have an AUX jack, because it's a simple piece that came with the car (factory Saturn CD Player, 2003). I was thinking of possibly buying one of those radio transmitters, but I'm not sure how good those can be. I'd hate to not be able to use my iPod just because of the stupid jack, and I've tried getting it fixed, but it didn't work.

Can anyone comment on those FM Transmitters? Thank you! :headbang:

FM transmitters FTL. If you are used to direct connection, you will be taking a big step back with FM. Its a shame you dont have a 3.5mm input on the deck, or you could rock something like this:

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-35508-iPod-Compatible-Connector/dp/B000J022G6[/ame]

You can get an FM transmitter/charger combo from Worst Buy. But the quality isn't all that great. I have one with my older car and it's full of static. Maybe they've improved the technology with the new generation, but the one I have is so-so.

If the headphone jack is busted the aux probably wouldn't work anyway. Unless they have converters for the other port. If they do make converters, you're better off buying a new headunit for your car than wasting money on an FM transmitter. Any half decent ones can usually run you a bit. I assume there's no tape deck?

I've had 2 of the transmitters. The DLO transpod I have is decent, but I only listen to audiobooks over it in my car so the quality doesn't have to be great. I had another one, that was a piece of crap, can't remember the make though.

FM transmitters are always going to suck. There are regulations on how strong of a signal they're allowed to give out, so it's not going to get better. Some are better than others, but overall if you have better options I wouldn't recommend it. I probably still have my old iPod FM transmitter that worked decently well, if you're gonna be down in NY sometime soon I'll take a look since I have no plans of getting another iPod, or a car for that matter.

Don't wast the money on an FM transmitter. If the headphone jack is busted you may have more problems than you realize.

I assume there's no tape deck?

That was kinda my question, too. I use a cassette converter with my iPod to my car's cassette deck and it works just about perfectly. No static and the sound is crisp.

Those converters connect to the headphone jack, though (or at least, mine does), so some sort of iPod-to-cassette, or iPod-to-1/8" stereo jack connector, might be needed.

That was kinda my question, too. I use a cassette converter with my iPod to my car's cassette deck and it works just about perfectly. No static and the sound is crisp.

Those converters connect to the headphone jack, though (or at least, mine does), so some sort of iPod-to-cassette, or iPod-to-1/8" stereo jack connector, might be needed.

Yeah, I'm not sure about that. But since the 1/8" I use goes to the headphone jack, I wasn't sure if there was some kind of converter that I didn't know about.

Actually.... I'm a moron...
Check out http://www.head-fi.org/ and ask about products that bypass the headphone jack. It removes the use of the internal ipod equalizer so a lot of audiophiles do it. It may set you back a little though. I've never looked into the costs but these people spend ridiculous amounts on their audio. Some of them make their own wires so you may even be able to purchase a custom one. Again, I have no clue the costs. I've seen $100 wires these people buy so... This will likely mean the need for a headphone amp. If you want the cheap route, go with the Fiio E5. I have one and the sound is great for the price. It's not going to drive the super expensive headphones well but I doubt that's a concern.

Here's an example:
10p6e0w.jpg