Question to all you touring guys.

ExDown

Oct 15, 2007
Boras
www.myspace.com
Hey,
My question is to all you touring guys in here.
Let's say i'm in a band that's on a quite big record company that just released our debut CD, which recieves great reviews.
What is a decent tour offer in our case? Let us say that the tour is with not so well known bands (ex. Hate, Incantation etc).

Is paying 2,000 euro (2,700 dollars) buyin and not getting any compensation for the gigs at all + paying for own transport resonable?
I have to add that it's a 3 week tour all over europe+UK.

Your input would help a lot, thanks!!

That's not expensive. It's a normal offer. Friends of mine are now supporting Rammstein on their tour and they will pay approx 2000-2500 Euros per show for everything (buy-in, tourbus, crew, etc.). So you are rather on the cheap side there.

But as Fredrik said: if you are on a decent label, they will pay toursupport and recoup it from your album sales.

Buy-ins are typical but if you are on a reasonable label they should be able to put you on with some in house bands w/o the paying out...particularly if you are not getting paid.

we paid 5000€ for a 3 week euro tour all in....your definitely on the cheaper side of things!

Wow, I'm quite amazed...
I would never pay almost 7,000 euro + 4-5,000 euro lost income out of my own pocket unless it would be supporting bands like Cannibal Corpse, Decapitated or Morbid Angel. I mean, not even getting any kind of compensation doesn't excist in my world... what are the venues doing with all the ticket sales?? Bunch of cheapskates :)

Well atleast now i know.. thanks everybody.

Wow, I'm quite amazed...
I would never pay almost 7,000 euro + 4-5,000 euro lost income out of my own pocket unless it would be supporting bands like Cannibal Corpse, Decapitated or Morbid Angel. I mean, not even getting any kind of compensation doesn't excist in my world... what are the venues doing with all the ticket sales?? Bunch of cheapskates :)

Well atleast now i know.. thanks everybody.

Paying the band that has an established following?

support bands hardly never get paid from tour opening slots, the price they asked from u guys is very decent and fair (we got an offer to tour with ur countrymates Demonical and price was 5000e for the whole tour). Just bring a shitload of merch with ya and you'll have a good chance to earn way more than 2000e. thats usually how opening bands get their $$$ on the road.

support bands hardly never get paid from tour opening slots, the price they asked from u guys is very decent and fair (we got an offer to tour with ur countrymates Demonical and price was 5000e for the whole tour). Just bring a shitload of merch with ya and you'll have a good chance to earn way more than 2000e. thats usually how opening bands get their $$$ on the road.

Okay. Problem is first coming up with the 2,000 euro buyin + 5,000 for transportation/hostel... then comes the 3-4,000 for printing merch to even stand the chance to win some of that cash back :) We're just a bunch of filthy metal dudes, not millionares :)

E:rofl:own: I thought you said

Let's say i'm in a band that's on a quite big record company that just released our debut CD, which recieves great reviews.

Record companies that are quite big will front the cash for you. Then again, I really don't think it's worth touring at all if you are not supporting a decent name band. Play single/weekend shows and festivals instead.

Although my band isn't on a label, our management attempted to get us on as the opening act on the Stratovarius North American tour with Pagan's Mind. We were going to be sharing a tour bus with Pagan's Mind and that alone was going to cost us $450 American per day. Add that on top of road crew fees, bus driver hotel fees, equipment rentals, and work visa, it was going to cost us around $20,000 for this 1 month tour.

We were willing to pay that as it would have been a huge opportunity for us to be on a tour like that without even being on a label yet. Would've given us some credibility, attention and lots of exposure.

But with that said, even though we had contracts signed with Stratovarius' management and the tour promotion company, and had our work visa, we got screwed out of the tour by a fucken piece of shit, selfish, waste of skin asshole promoter from the States.

This fucker ended up booking TONS of local support bands for the US shows and pretty much refused to take any of them off. How this asshole got away with it is beyond me but it pretty much fucked us out of an awesome opportunity as well as forced Pagans Mind to only do half the tour because we were splitting costs and sharing equipment with them.

Anyway, lol, that tour is pretty cheap considering. If you're not playing with a band that pulls in a big crowd though, it might not be worth it.

Although my band isn't on a label, our management attempted to get us on as the opening act on the Stratovarius North American tour with Pagan's Mind. We were going to be sharing a tour bus with Pagan's Mind and that alone was going to cost us $450 American per day. Add that on top of road crew fees, bus driver hotel fees, equipment rentals, and work visa, it was going to cost us around $20,000 for this 1 month tour.

We were willing to pay that as it would have been a huge opportunity for us to be on a tour like that without even being on a label yet. Would've given us some credibility, attention and lots of exposure.

But with that said, even though we had contracts signed with Stratovarius' management and the tour promotion company, and had our work visa, we got screwed out of the tour by a fucken piece of shit, selfish, waste of skin asshole promoter from the States.

This fucker ended up booking TONS of local support bands for the US shows and pretty much refused to take any of them off. How this asshole got away with it is beyond me but it pretty much fucked us out of an awesome opportunity as well as forced Pagans Mind to only do half the tour because we were splitting costs and sharing equipment with them.

Anyway, lol, that tour is pretty cheap considering. If you're not playing with a band that pulls in a big crowd though, it might not be worth it.

That sucks dude, sorry to hear.
I really admire you as a band for that. It shows you're guys that really wants to make it in this business... kudos :) Good luck in the future.

That sucks dude, sorry to hear.
I really admire you as a band for that. It shows you're guys that really wants to make it in this business... kudos :) Good luck in the future.

Thanks man. We're trying lol. Because we had already gotten our work visa for the States, and it's good for a year, our management is going to be trying to get us on another tour in the spring.

I think it worked out better this way as now we have the time and money to record another album and possibly get a deal out of it. Then next time we have the chance to do a tour, hopefully we'll get money for tour support.

Thanks man. We're trying lol. Because we had already gotten our work visa for the States, and it's good for a year, our management is going to be trying to get us on another tour in the spring.

I think it worked out better this way as now we have the time and money to record another album and possibly get a deal out of it. Then next time we have the chance to do a tour, hopefully we'll get money for tour support.

Don't have much to add to the thread, but wanted to say I really dig your band. I started listening and thought some awful screaming vocals were going to come in and ruin it. But then you have an awesome singer. And the synth solo topped it off. Really nice work, keep it up.

im not in a band or have ever been on a tour, but you have to pay to open for somebody? that seems retarded...