Song for you guys to mix

if6was9

Ireland
Jun 13, 2007
lreland
Thought I'd give a little back to this place since I've learned so much here in the last few months,

Here's a track I recorded for a band. They're a kinda Stoner rock act whos biggest influences would be Sabbath, Metallica and Down etc..
It was done over 2 days( about 14 hours cause I was comitted to working the nights) in a room in my house.
All recorded into a firepod.
Drums Audix fusion drum set on toms and overheads. A Sm 57 on the snare, the audix's kick mic on the floor tom and an Sm 58 on the Hats. Shure Beta 52 on the kick.

Guitars are a Di, an Sm57 on one speaker, a T Bone Rb 100 ribbon mic on the other. I set them up so that I got a tone I liked with both mics on equally so the individual tones may not be the best. Guitar was an Epi Zakk wylde w/ stock hz's. Amp was a line 6 Spider into a marshall 1936. They are dual tracked because we hadn't time to try quad tracking.

Bass is Di'd and the line out of his head. the Bass was a warwick and I can't remember what the head was.

Vocals are dual miced- same as the guitars an sm57 and a T bone Rb 100 ribbon mic.

They didn't track to a click, the guitarist and bassist played along with the drummer while they played the song into his phones.

Here's the raw consoildated files.

http://rapidshare.com/files/144187889/Termoil_consol.rar.html

This was my first paying recording- I got 70 euro a day to track and I mixed for free! they are getting someone else to properly master it. They did 4 tracks. It was a bit rushed as they decided after the first day they could finish it in 2 days rather than the originally planned 3.

Any tips or comments on the tracking are welcome- its far from being perfect! looking forward to your guys mixes, I might post mine if I don't feel it'll shame me too much!

yeah I offered them the use of some of my amps- laney gh50L and Marshall Jcm 800, but they opted to use the spider instead of even trying them, they wanted it done fast. I took a Di so I could even use software or get it re-amoped. I thought the miced tone I got worked well for their stuff though so I went with it- its not fantastic but it worked well enough.

They said they'll use me again for their album in a few months and that they'll be up for experimentation then but they justed wanted their demo done

yeah one of the next things on my to get list is a re-amp box- for situations like this and so I can practise mic placment when I'm by myself, its really hard placing a mic when your also doing the playing!

yeah one of the next things on my to get list is a re-amp box- for situations like this and so I can practise mic placment when I'm by myself, its really hard placing a mic when your also doing the playing!

you can record DI's untill you've got the cash to get a reamp box. There are enough people on here that'll be glad to help out and reamp through their amps.

I threw this together somewhat quick: http://www.syliin.com/jarkko/Termoil (jhakwe).mp3

I used Revalver MKIII on the rhythm guits, GuitarSuite JCM900 on the solo and used some random drum samples (kick is a sample I ripped from Children of Bodom, toms are the Chimaira toms, snare is the Sneap snare blended with Fat City). The overheads would have needed some automation, but didn't get around to it. The hihats are pretty irritating as they are since they stick out too much.

Cool mixes guys- pretty big sounding! your drums are alot more modern sounding than what I ended up with! Now I know what a difference sampling can make! I'm not a fan of the bass on both jhakwe and opeth57's mixes, I think its too loud and I didn't really like the tone of it.

On the version that I gave the band I didn't re-amp and I used all the natural drums. I didn't do any limiting/clipping/comping on the master bus either as they were paying another dude to master it!

What do ye make of the tracking- what would you have done differently?
A few of the things I'd do differently now are I'd spend more time on the guitar tone and have taken it off the floor, it didn't make that much of a difference on that tune but i'd trouble with a weird swelling resonance on a certain chord on one of the songs. I would have moved the hats alot further away from the snare too- its far too loud in the snare mic!

It's great to have heard other peoples mixes compared to my own- I realise now in what areas the guitar tone lacks, like what I thought was decent now sounds kinda weak and more muddy and fuzzy instead of thick and defined like some of yours were!

The Hihat mic was useless for me, one of the toms was hard to get a decent tone out of, either the high or mid, floor was fine after strip silence and some eq.

I don't think that either the 57 or ribbon suited the vocals, Audix kick mic may have been better!

my mix isn't quite done, only had an hour and a half to work on it today. 50% chance I'll start over.

Ok I did quick mix today, used the tracks as is but the snare is 50/50 replace to make it cut through alittle better.
For the DI gtr´s I used Sans Amp and blended the others in to taste.
But the snare tracks had insanely much of the ride cymbal so thats sits a bit high in the mix!! :loco:

But its a good song, i liked it :headbang:

Oh and its not mastered so just turn it up!!

TC.mp3