Question to the forum "physicists/scientists/space nerds"

Cat5Messiah

Violator of Sheep
Jan 21, 2003
Seattle/Tacoma (Browns Point), WA
www.myspace.com
I know some of us have to be at least a novice in mathematics and/or physics so I come to you with a question.

I read.....but I don't read non-fiction. I have always had an interest in certain aspects of physics but have never really been motivated to do something about it until recently. I'm looking for suggestions for some good Introduction to Quantum Physics/Mechanics books. I have looked at Amazon and Barnes and Noble but I can't really distinguish which would be better.

I'd rather not spend a whole shit-ton but I suppose I'm looking for the most bang for my buck. Any suggestions?

TRY THIS SHIT out....it was ok for me

The next evolution in the ‘Bleep’ experience.What the BLEEP – Down the Rabbit Hole is an extended Director’s Cut of What the Bleep Do We Know!? It includes new scientific findings that supplement the original movie, and it goes more deeply into the concepts explored. We still follow Amanda as her uninspired life unravels to reveal the uncertain world of quantum mechanics hidden beneath her normal, waking reality. But in the Director’s Cut, the interviews are lengthened and a full 95% of all interviews is new, never before seen footage exploring the links between quantum mechanics, neurobiology, human consciousness and day-to-day reality

I know some of us have to be at least a novice in mathematics and/or physics so I come to you with a question.

I read.....but I don't read non-fiction. I have always had an interest in certain aspects of physics but have never really been motivated to do something about it until recently. I'm looking for suggestions for some good Introduction to Quantum Physics/Mechanics books. I have looked at Amazon and Barnes and Noble but I can't really distinguish which would be better.

I'd rather not spend a whole shit-ton but I suppose I'm looking for the most bang for my buck. Any suggestions?

Are you looking to just have a general understanding of the workings of quantum mechanics or do you want to see the math behind the theories? Stephen Hawking's popular books on the subject are easy and layman accessible, though necessarily brief.

The next evolution in the ‘Bleep’ experience.What the BLEEP – Down the Rabbit Hole is an extended Director’s Cut of What the Bleep Do We Know!? It includes new scientific findings that supplement the original movie, and it goes more deeply into the concepts explored. We still follow Amanda as her uninspired life unravels to reveal the uncertain world of quantum mechanics hidden beneath her normal, waking reality. But in the Director’s Cut, the interviews are lengthened and a full 95% of all interviews is new, never before seen footage exploring the links between quantum mechanics, neurobiology, human consciousness and day-to-day reality

Hmmm, I may have to check it out. Although, it's not necessarily what I'm looking for. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Are you looking to just have a general understanding of the workings of quantum mechanics or do you want to see the math behind the theories? Stephen Hawking's popular books on the subject are easy and layman accessible, though necessarily brief.

I've done some reading and watching when it comes to different theories. I'm a fan of Hawking and have watched numerous documentaries on his theory(ies) of black holes. But, I'm hoping to step it up a notch. Rather than knowing about theories and what they are, I want to know WHY they are. I suppose you could say that yes, I am looking to learn the mathematics behind the theories. I want to gain the knowledge to where I could create my own theories if I wanted to.

I was going to mention the Hawkin's books.

Yeah i was gonna recommend that as well. I did read "A Brief History of Time"

here is the link for ya.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Brief-History-Time-Stephen-Hawking/dp/0553380168"]http://www.amazon.com/Brief-History-Time-Stephen-Hawking/dp/0553380168[/ame]

Yeah i was gonna recommend that as well. I did read "A Brief History of Time"

here is the link for ya.

http://www.amazon.com/Brief-History-Time-Stephen-Hawking/dp/0553380168
I've been meaning to pick up that book. I'll have to do so.

I haven't read it, but I've heard extremely good things about this book.

In Search of Schrödinger's Cat: Quantum Physics and Reality

I think I've heard of this before, I'll have to check it out. Thanks for the suggestion!

The first movie was the biggest masturbation festival of pseudo-science I've ever seen. I definitely wouldn't waste my time on it or the sequel.

A good book that is actually subjective and scientific while still explaining things in and easy to understand manner is "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene. It is also a featured in on nova and you can watch it on the pbs site free if that's more your style.

To really get into any of this your going to want to learn some math though, or all you will be doing is just taking peoples word for things without actually understanding the concepts behind the theories.

Yea, I plan on increasing my math knowledge. But I'm getting two different opinions; a friend of mine said that I should learn the Greek mathematical symbols while my cousin said that it's not necessary. What's your opinion?

The symbols and their meaning is something you pick up along the way. Notation is something that unfortunately differs from one side of the Atlantic to the other anyway (took me a bit to adjust after moving to the UW from Leiden in Holland), but one you understand what an equation is trying to say, it doesn't really matter how they put it on paper.

More important question is: what's your starting point (current background) and where do you want to take it? What do you mean by "understanding"? At some point you'll realize that the fact that something gives an accurate (as per our best observational evidence to date) mathematical description of nature at these scales, doesn't mean you necessarily understand what's going on, and while Hawking and the like come up with entertaining analogies and approximations in their popular books, they usually also bend the rules laid down by the math of quantum or relativistic physics, often leading to all sorts of pseudo-philosophical and metaphysical "arguments".

The first thing that popped into my mind is The Feynman Lectures On Physics, which was a great help in my under- and grad work (PhD from the UW in astrophysics, in case you were wondering - damn, I miss Seattle...), but I didn't delve into that without a decent background in Calculus (I'd say sophomore level for science majors). Hope that doesn't deter you from trying to get to the nuts and bolts of it, tho!

The symbols and their meaning is something you pick up along the way. Notation is something that unfortunately differs from one side of the Atlantic to the other anyway (took me a bit to adjust after moving to the UW from Leiden in Holland), but one you understand what an equation is trying to say, it doesn't really matter how they put it on paper.

More important question is: what's your starting point (current background) and where do you want to take it? What do you mean by "understanding"? At some point you'll realize that the fact that something gives an accurate (as per our best observational evidence to date) mathematical description of nature at these scales, doesn't mean you necessarily understand what's going on, and while Hawking and the like come up with entertaining analogies and approximations in their popular books, they usually also bend the rules laid down by the math of quantum or relativistic physics, often leading to all sorts of pseudo-philosophical and metaphysical "arguments".

The first thing that popped into my mind is The Feynman Lectures On Physics, which was a great help in my under- and grad work (PhD from the UW in astrophysics, in case you were wondering - damn, I miss Seattle...), but I didn't delve into that without a decent background in Calculus (I'd say sophomore level for science majors). Hope that doesn't deter you from trying to get to the nuts and bolts of it, tho!

My starting point is a very early stage, to be honest. I am aware of some theories but not HOW they are, only that they are. Basically, you could say that I'm a novice. I think my first hurdle is going to be teaching myself Calculus. Although, Calculus IS a requirement for my studies but not to the extent of a physicist for it is not my major. Though, I'd like to make physics a study of mine without being in a university.

I'd like to take the knowledge (after I receive it) and possibly use it to do something. It's hard to explain right now due to lack of sleep and lack of caffeine but nonetheless, I'll have to see if I can find anything on The Feynman Lectures.

Would not go with Down The Rabbit Hole. Some decent stuff mixed in with a lot of scifi wankery.

Would agree with the Hawking books and both The Elegant Universe and The Fabric of the Cosmos by Brian Greene, to understand the concepts without the math.

To get the math as well... no nice way to put this, but you really need a few helping hands. A good teacher or two, some serious time problem-solving (as this skill is nonexistent in the States), and more than a couple of books. The foundations for physics are, in my opinion, best gotten from the Feynman Lectures on Physics (they're online and in used bookstores), and then there are more than a few good texts in quantum physics. Bohm's Quantum Theory is a classic, available through Dover Publishing for $15-20ish, although the multiple-universe interpretation is gaining a great deal of ground (especially with those familiar with quantum computing) over the Copenhagen interpretation in the book.

For math texts to get you caught up... basic calculus is in the Feynman Lectures, you can get Braun's Differential Equations and Shilov's Linear Algebra for about $10-20 each,

Also, Schaum's Outlines are great.

If you're serious, PM me and I'll help you out as much as I can. I'm currently a graduate math student (I've been teaching and tutoring since I was about 5, and 15 years of experience is enough for this stuff) and I plan to get some graduate work in physics as well, in case you were wondering what my background was. This stuff is my leisure reading, so don't worry about being an imposition or anything like that.

Jeff

Would not go with Down The Rabbit Hole. Some decent stuff mixed in with a lot of scifi wankery.

Would agree with the Hawking books and both The Elegant Universe and The Fabric of the Cosmos by Brian Greene, to understand the concepts without the math.

To get the math as well... no nice way to put this, but you really need a few helping hands. A good teacher or two, some serious time problem-solving (as this skill is nonexistent in the States), and more than a couple of books. The foundations for physics are, in my opinion, best gotten from the Feynman Lectures on Physics (they're online and in used bookstores), and then there are more than a few good texts in quantum physics. Bohm's Quantum Theory is a classic, available through Dover Publishing for $15-20ish, although the multiple-universe interpretation is gaining a great deal of ground (especially with those familiar with quantum computing) over the Copenhagen interpretation in the book.

For math texts to get you caught up... basic calculus is in the Feynman Lectures, you can get Braun's Differential Equations and Shilov's Linear Algebra for about $10-20 each,

Also, Schaum's Outlines are great.

If you're serious, PM me and I'll help you out as much as I can. I'm currently a graduate math student (I've been teaching and tutoring since I was about 5, and 15 years of experience is enough for this stuff) and I plan to get some graduate work in physics as well, in case you were wondering what my background was. This stuff is my leisure reading, so don't worry about being an imposition or anything like that.

Jeff

Sweetness dude, shooting you over a PM.