Question to Tyr

What does it matter where does the abillity coming from ? Tyr is a great bass player as are all the members of Borknagar/Vintersorg. What matters is not where the training is comes from or how longs it taking to learn to play but how much is the imagination use to making the songs interesting. Like myself, I would love to play as that of Tyr or Steve Di Giorgio or Asgeir... so on... so naturally I having questions as to maybe help myself to play better. But some of us have it, some of us dont.

I am sounding negative. But I only said that what matter for if he is to taking a lot of lesson. I will restate my position and join in on the curiosity ,I too would love to know how it goes the beginning of a great musician career. Training ,lesson ,practice ,influence ,inspiration ...etc...

I've had no lessons , only picked up this and that from videos , books and friends. I started out as a guitarist , in 1988 I think, the first couple of years I played in a garageband , we had no material of our own , only coversongs - Maiden and stuff like that - basically for fun. In '91 I focused entirely on classical guitar , taught myself basic reading , and started to build a repertoire.
I made plans to get a real music education , but by pure chance I was introduced to the bass in 1994. My girlfriend (now wife) had actually played bass in a band before we met , and she had quit mainly because her heart was just not in it. But since I allready had been playing fingerstyle on the guitar for a few years , I had no problem playing the bass from the start. And I fell completely in love with the instrument.
I practice 5-8 hours a day , not counting band-practice , I have done that since 1994... , well except when I'm on tour .
I guess I have influences from all over , but mainly John Myung and Sean Malone. Bassists like Steve DiGiorgio , Sean Malone , Gary Willis , John Myung , Billy Sheehan and Lars K. Nordberg are very inspiring to me.

Tyr

yeah, Myung owns!! I suppose you have seen him live, it's just like he doesn't tread the strings but fly over them!!!

Thanks for answering Tyr! Well, you are very talented. No lessons and then play so technical!!:eek: I am impressed by people who have learned the instrument by themself so good. :)