Questions about Guitar Rig 3

The Grand Design

The Jester Race Submits
Jun 14, 2003
Christchurch, New Zealand
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm trying to use GR3 for tracking some demo material to put up on my bands myspace page, just wondering if anyone has some experience with GR3 and can give me a bit of guidance on getting a good tone out of it, I'm tuned to Bb standard and the style of music is melodic death metal similar to In Flames/Soilwork/Disarmonia Mundi etc, I know I should probably fork out for a PODxt or something similar but I'm pretty short on money at the moment haha. I'm using the Ultrasonic Head in GR3 currently and it's sounding alright, does anyone out there have some saved presets they found to be good? I found a soilwork preset online but when I downloaded it the file was empty :cry: Cheers dudes!

Did you put a TS (sim) before the "Ultrasonic"? It NEEDS it. And do you use impulses instead of the GR speaker simulation?

Nah I hadn't put a tubescreamer before the head... fuckin silly me! I'll try that out! I don't think I know what impulses actually are, where do I get them and how can I use them? That would be really great to know.

Edit: I tried the "Skreamer" module in front of the head, and as long as the drive is dialed back a little bit its really good, brings out a bit more treble but not too fizzy/hissy.

Ive been using guitar rig 3 for my band's demo stuff aswell, the most useful thing Ive found when using it is not to use the 'matched cabinet' thing when you select your head, but use the 'cabinets & mics' option instead, it gives you a lot more ability to shape the tone. I also find myself putting less gain on that I would if I was using a real amp, I find if I whack the gain up too much its a little too saturated. I havent had much luck with the distortion pedals either, but Im pretty new to the program myself so I guess its a practise thing. All the guitars on 'I am God' were done with guitar rig 3, I think one channel is the Gratifier & one is the Ultrasonic. > http://www.myspace.com/malacitemusic