Questions about guitar tracking: multiple guitar?multiple amps/cabs?

FrancescoFiligoi

Count Blastula
Nov 20, 2009
www.facebook.com
Hi to all, I'm Francesco, guitarist from a recently born Death Metal band from Italy.

We're preparing to record our first EP and I've just bought a Countryman Type 85 as DI box.

Before we'll start to record, I need to know if, in your opinion, it's better to use just a guitar to record the guitar tracks (4 per song) or would be nice if two tracks will be recorded with a guitar and other two tracks with another.

The reason behind this thought is to have tonal benefits from both guitars to obtain a more complex sound. My doubt is that maybe using two guitar could bring to intonation problems...

Specifically speaking, the two guitars would be a Schecter Jeff Loomis(ash body) with Duncan Blackout and a B.C. Rich Marc Rizzo Stealth 7 (mahogany body) with EMG 81-7.

Second question: for the same reason, reamping two tracks with an amp and the other two with another could bring to a big mess or would be great and complex?

Thank you so much.

Francesco

people do it all the time. Just make sure, as you mentioned, the intonation and tuning is good between both of them. Another thing to consider is pickup choice between the different guitars (or even different takes)

I'd go only with 1 guitar for the rythms... and i'd go for the Schecter only because of the intonation problems... and because I think it's reeeeeeeeally better than every bc rich guitar i've ever seen! :p

If you'll go with 2 different guitars just be sure to check the DI's levels!