Questions about Guitars 8-]]

Gypsy Rose

Metal Goddess 8-]]
Jun 1, 2020
USA
I got a new guitar for Christmas 2019 and I have yet to start lessons...I am left handed and one of my questions is: Would I have a harder time learning the guitar because I am left-handed?? I wonder if there are any teachers as well that can teach a left-handed person?? I looked up a lesson on youtube once and it looked a bit complicated to me..Just am curious about this...8-]]

There are guitars designated as right-handed or left-handed, but the left-handed ones are a bit rare so I guess you probably got a right-handed one. Try holding it both ways and see if accurate picking/strumming with your right hand seems much harder. If it's not then you might be ok learning right-handed.

If you really wanna strum with your left hand, then maybe you could re-string it and not care about fret buzz or whatever issues come with that while you're just beginning, and maybe look out for left-handed guitars for sale at the same time. Or depending on the guitar maybe you could get it modified with different parts. Then there's people who just flip a guitar upside down as is and play with the thickest string at the bottom, but that'd make tutorials really confusing.

Hi--Thanks for the advice--I got my guitar from Amazon and they claim is is a left-handed guitar...I have held the guitar and tried to strum it a little bit and I have to turn the guitar left handed to make it feel right..Never thought to restring, I think I would have to take it to a professional to do that for me...MM, I don't think I can handle any confusing tutorials...8-]]

most music stores will restring a guitar at a reasonable price for you. at the same time maybe you could check out lessons too. The music store I go to, have guitar techs available and they're really helpful.. Also if you check out some of the online music places, they will have a lot of choices for left handed guitars and most of the different brands ...