Questions about Pro Tools

Splat88

Jan 31, 2006
Vegas
I've got an M-audio Delta 1010 so I've been interested lately in picking up Pro Tools M-Powered for my PC. I am assuming that M-Powered is the same as LE and even the HD interface but I know HD is capable of having more simultaneous tracks.

When I was out of town last I had a chance to use Pro Tools LE 6.7 on my friends computer and I must say I was severely disappointed. Is it true that you can only have 5 plugins on a track at a time? I find this incredibly difficult to believe being that Pro Tools is the industry standard. Also, I was reading about some of the upgrades provided in Pro Tools 7 and one of them was being able to manually adjust track height, like its some major advancement in the DAW world. Am I the only one that thinks this is a joke? There's not even offline track processing or freezing available....you have to manually bounce if you want to free up CPU power.

Being unfamiliar with Pro Tools, someone please tell me that there's more to this program than meets the eye. Cubase SX and Sonar seem to have so many more features. I hope to hear that I am wrong here because I was interested in "Upgrading".

I feel the same way. I can see how Pro Tools is a great tracking/editing program, but to me, I don't see much further than that..

The only thing I'm envious of in PT is the super flexible routing.. BUT, The big kicker for me is NO ADC for plug-ins on M-Powered and LE. F that..

I've been thinking of picking up M-Powered to use with my M-Audio box just so that I can accept Pro Tools session files that I can then export to WAV and open up in Nuendo.

It all comes down to what your most comfortable really and since I started out on Steinberg-based DAWs, that's what I prefer. To each his own.

I use Pro Tools LE on my mac because I got the 002 interface for cheap and Nuendo is too damn expensive. But when I get the money, I'm switching to Nuendo. I have enough experience with try before you buy versions for windows to know that I like it a lot better than Pro Tools. I'm still pissed off about a lot of plugins like Mtron not working on intel Mac pro tools, but working fine in cubase/nuendo :cry:

PS is anybody running cubase on an intel Mac? any issues? I've been thinking of picking up a student discount package from steinberg. (I think they'll accept an acoustics major for that)

you can apply processing to tracks using audiosuite, and there's a "freeze" type thing in the mix window near the bottom of the channel strips.

someone who uses pro tools could clarify.
yep this is totally true, audiosuite works fine for processing on most plugins but the freeze to track feature was sketchy to figure out. I don't even think it's mentioned in the manual. Also unless you have an intel mac, there's not a whole lot of reasons to update from pro tools 6. The MIDI is slightly improved but only slightly. Other than some new plugins thats about it.