Quick Classical Guitar question for Chris......

Shredfiend

Sep 2, 2004
Just wondering....I imagine you use rest strokes in your playing a fair amount. Probably for tone and speed.

I just never seemed to catch on or get a feel for the rest stroke......I do the free stroke for everything. Rest stroke just doesn't seem to feel right or find a place in my playing and the only time I use it is if I'm playing a .....bass(feels natural then).

I've been playing for many, years doing only the free stroke....I'm probably cheating myself. I've studied mostly out of Parkening's 2 books, aswell as the 120 studies, several of Noads books, Pumping Nylon and some others.

I did pick up Kitharologus and am begining to work through it......great deal of those exercisese use rest strokes though.

Shredfiend said:
Just wondering....I imagine you use rest strokes in your playing a fair amount. Probably for tone and speed.

I just never seemed to catch on or get a feel for the rest stroke......I do the free stroke for everything. Rest stroke just doesn't seem to feel right or find a place in my playing and the only time I use it is if I'm playing a .....bass(feels natural then).

I've been playing for many, years doing only the free stroke....I'm probably cheating myself. I've studied mostly out of Parkening's 2 books, aswell as the 120 studies, several of Noads books, Pumping Nylon and some others.

I did pick up Kitharologus and am begining to work through it......great deal of those exercisese use rest strokes though.
Hey Shredfiend,
I use rest strokes quit a bit, however I think you should consider them for two reasons. 1: for tonal qualities (they tend to have a pronounced punchy sound), 2: for technical ease ( if you are in an extended right hand position, a rest stroke should be more efficient). I actually started with rest strokes, but find that both have a place in technique.
Take care, Chris.

ANY NEWS ON INSTRUCTIONAL DVD BY CHRIS BRODERICK ??

SUGGESTIONS OF WHAT ELSE TO STUDY WHILE I WAIT ??

HAIL METAL !

The man who is poor but independent of men is at the

command of necessity alone.

The man who is rich but dependent may be commanded by another,

or others.

Society is made up of 2 great classes:

Those who have more dinners than appetite, and

Those who have more appetite than dinners.

elevensies@yahoo.com

The_Children_of_Decadence said:
not classical, but don't wanted to create a new topic...

I got a standard (without tremolo system) Ibanez 7321.

Qustion: Is that possible to install a tremolo system?

That's a 7-string right?

It IS possible but likely a costly venture. They'll have to route out the body to fit the tremolo. On top of that, finding a 7-string bridge may take a while (and again cost a fair amount). I'd really consider the pros and cons of doing this for a while. Do you do a fair amount of de-tuning from standard to lower tunings or do you stay in one tuning? Doing so is a PAIN IN THE ASS assuming that you're after a Floyd Rose bridge (or something similar). Also, if you happen to break a string in mid performance, you'd better be prepared for a quarter-tone jam "raga-style" for the remainder of the tune!

Ironically, I'm interested in doing the OPPOSITE; I have an Ibanez 7-string WITH a Floyd and want to convert it to a non-trem bridge. I already know what that entails, so I'll suffer with it till I can save for a non-trem Ibanez.

Or....we can trade!
:D

JazzIII said:
That's a 7-string right?

It IS possible but likely a costly venture. They'll have to route out the body to fit the tremolo. On top of that, finding a 7-string bridge may take a while (and again cost a fair amount). I'd really consider the pros and cons of doing this for a while. Do you do a fair amount of de-tuning from standard to lower tunings or do you stay in one tuning? Doing so is a PAIN IN THE ASS assuming that you're after a Floyd Rose bridge (or something similar). Also, if you happen to break a string in mid performance, you'd better be prepared for a quarter-tone jam "raga-style" for the remainder of the tune!

Ironically, I'm interested in doing the OPPOSITE; I have an Ibanez 7-string WITH a Floyd and want to convert it to a non-trem bridge. I already know what that entails, so I'll suffer with it till I can save for a non-trem Ibanez.

Or....we can trade!
Hey Jazz III and Children of Decadence,
WOW a trade would make it easy. You can put a trem in, you can buy them at allparts.com, however it would be a huge pain in the ass. Jazz III if you guys don't end up trading what you can do to fix your trem is get a rubber stopper or foot from your local hardware store, that is the right height to fit under your trem to keep it level and then tighten the springs until it's got a good amount of pressure against the stopper. I recommend putting it where there is the most flat surface on the cavity and trem for a snug secure fit. This way you don't have to alter your guitar in any way and it works well with altered tunings.

Take care, Chris.

Chris_Broderick said:
Hey Jazz III and Children of Decadence,
WOW a trade would make it easy. You can put a trem in, you can buy them at allparts.com, however it would be a huge pain in the ass. Jazz III if you guys don't end up trading what you can do to fix your trem is get a rubber stopper or foot from your local hardware store, that is the right height to fit under your trem to keep it level and then tighten the springs until it's got a good amount of pressure against the stopper. I recommend putting it where there is the most flat surface on the cavity and trem for a snug secure fit. This way you don't have to alter your guitar in any way and it works well with altered tunings.

Take care, Chris.

Ha! Actually, I was joking about the trade. As upstanding of a citizen as I'm SURE C.O.D. is, I'd still feel uncomfortable mailing my main axe half-way across the world (as I'm sure he would be too, understandably). Then again, he's obviously (according to his profile) a Dream Theater fan so....

None the less, a great suggestion about the tremolo block, Chris. I've actually done that in the past, on other guitars and have been procrastinating on doing it with this guitar, for several reasons: 1-There's just something about the strings-into-bridge-into-body connection on a Floyd loaded guitar that looses "something". Probably just me. 2-Having recently aquired a string-through-body Ibanez (can't remember exact model; the ones Marty Friedman is using now), and noticing the difference in tone and the "no nonsense" nature of such a guitar.

To be honest though, I'll probably heed your suggestion this week and find a fitting block for it, in the meantime. Thanks again bro!

Kel

JazzIII said:
Ha! Actually, I was joking about the trade. As upstanding of a citizen as I'm SURE C.O.D. is, I'd still feel uncomfortable mailing my main axe half-way across the world (as I'm sure he would be too, understandably). Then again, he's obviously (according to his profile) a Dream Theater fan so....

None the less, a great suggestion about the tremolo block, Chris. I've actually done that in the past, on other guitars and have been procrastinating on doing it with this guitar, for several reasons: 1-There's just something about the strings-into-bridge-into-body connection on a Floyd loaded guitar that looses "something". Probably just me. 2-Having recently aquired a string-through-body Ibanez (can't remember exact model; the ones Marty Friedman is using now), and noticing the difference in tone and the "no nonsense" nature of such a guitar.

To be honest though, I'll probably heed your suggestion this week and find a fitting block for it, in the meantime. Thanks again bro!

Kel
No backwards dood! You have to trade! :loco:

Anyway, what's that Ibanez modell that?! Corious...

@Chris: What do ya think about the GB 40 guitarbug? Do you recommend?
One of my friend said it's changed the guitarsound a little bit, he tried...
I'm thinking about to have it...

Hey Children Of Decadence! What's up?

Actually, I'm not sure of the specific model of my 7-string. I got it "used" through the store that I teach at. I know that it's a 2000 model, but there's no visible model sticker on it. I use the term "used" loosely because it was in mint condition and the factory strings were still on it...and they had that unmistakable new string twang and feel to them. The previous owner simply didn't play the thing!

At first I though, "It must be stolen", but the guy showed proof of purchase when bringing it in.

i think, i will kill myself, if you got an rg 2027 modell... post a photo anyway :)

Well, I have no means of uploading a photo here, but I'll do some research and get back to you hear. Please don't kill yourself.

No backwards dood! You have to trade! :loco:

Anyway, what's that Ibanez modell that?! Corious...

@Chris: What do ya think about the GB 40 guitarbug? Do you recommend?
One of my friend said it's changed the guitarsound a little bit, he tried...
I'm thinking about to have it...
Hey The_Children_of_Decadence,
I own the GB40 and love it the battery lasts forever, and it transmits really well. It does add a slight spike in the treble frequencies though not very noticeable, but what wireless doesn't alter your tone. I would highly recommend one, but I've heard to watch out for the ones set to Korean frequencies, because they aren't as strong. While this makes no sense to me especially being told this from a Sales person that didn't seem to know what he was talking about, you might as well take head.