quick clip- bit of an experiment

Death's Acre said:
a bit on the sloppy side as I just went with the first takes but good enough to test the tone. Tell me what you think first then I'll reveal what I did to it :dopey:

http://s29.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1NTB0MFDQEG441EIU44930VVIU

Bit buzzy in the highs ... i would say a pod or some type of modeler.

The tone thats panned center in the break sound over modulated and really bad, the open chords at the end are nice.

Overall not bad. But without a bass guitar its hard to tell.

Close actually. It's guitarsuite run through the vamp2's "tube preamp" model and into a peavey bandit 1x12. Kinda similar idea to reamping but just for speaker movement. I'm not sure if it's actually an improvement over what it was with just guitarsuite but it needs a bit more tweaking with the starting tone/eq on the vamp and bandit to tame the highs some(maybe wouldn't be a problem if it was a tube head?). Overally the biggest difference I think was it brightened the sound up and made it much crunchier. I'll add some bass later tonight and post a clip with the original gsuite tone as well.

Death's Acre said:
Close actually. It's guitarsuite run through the vamp2's "tube preamp" model and into a peavey bandit 1x12. Kinda similar idea to reamping but just for speaker movement. I'm not sure if it's actually an improvement over what it was with just guitarsuite but it needs a bit more tweaking with the starting tone/eq on the vamp and bandit to tame the highs some(maybe wouldn't be a problem if it was a tube head?). Overally the biggest difference I think was it brightened the sound up and made it much crunchier. I'll add some bass later tonight and post a clip with the original gsuite tone as well.

Too crunchy as a matter of fact.

Back off on the gain....only use about 1/2 to 3/4 of what your using now. It will liven up the tone more.

Also work on playing it a bit tighter, 2 guitars with less gain will sound bigger in the mix. But they need to be tight ...

Lose the V-amp all together. It makes the sound cheap and thin. Ive trird this (i own a V-amp) thinking it may help give it that tube screamer vibe ... it doesnt. If you cant afford a TS then i would sugest the boss SD-1 its relatively inexpensive.

The peavey has a 10" speaker i take it, doesnt sound like a 12"

What are you micing it with ?

If you can scrape some cash together and get a Sure SM-57 or an Audix i5 it will make a big difference. Ive had some good results on an 8 inch speaker with the i5 ... kinda impressed me actually .... lol You can get either mic for about $100 new or under $100 on Ebay.

You may want to look into the line 6 tone port, just to get a good signal going in. Any good Mic Pre or Direct recording pre will help......

You may know all this already ... lol

What is your current setup ?

What exactly are you running ? Amp, guitar, pickups, preamps, effects ...etc

Allright- chain is as follows: Schecter c-1 jb bridge straight to soundcard with guitarsuite, bandit has a 12 inch speaker but it's a "scorpian" speaker so that might have something to do with it. Was mic'd on axis with an sm57 of which I have two of but only one pre- a shit behringer mic100 :yuk: I don't know why... but honestly it seemed a lot easier to play tight back when I was going in with the vamp... I don't know if it's a latency issue or what but it seems the guitarsuite guitars are never QUITE where I played them and I always end up moving them back slightly. But hmm- you think this is worth trying again with less gain and no vamp in the chain? Maybe use the sg with an emg85 instead of the jb?(thought the jb would sound more 80's that's why I used it...)

Here are the clips I promised for more perspective.
with bass added:
http://s32.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0REK4R06RWJ9S1BDZ9JIDATHY0

original gsuite tone with bass:
http://s32.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=148QWWZBBBPW30YVXHD9WK1I7G

Both tones blended with bass:
http://s32.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=30RB3UN17RAJZ0G6YOZQNE2B9F

Cheers man, thanks for taking the time to help me out :p

guitarsuite changed my life. . .

amplitube does it too, but the tracks are never USEABLE

guitarsuite is the next best thing to mic'ing an amp, sometimes better. . .:worship:

i always need to use some sort of gate with it though. .

Dude.. this just not sound good....

its sounds like 80's half cocked wah stuff with a full on 8MB midi soundfont drum thing.. sorry.. just being honest.

Just run GuitarSuite by itself.

My policy is always to get the simplest possible chain, and I think that usually produces the best results unless you're very pro and you know exactly what each part in the chain is doing, tone-wise.

Moonlapse said:
Just run GuitarSuite by itself.

My policy is always to get the simplest possible chain, and I think that usually produces the best results unless you're very pro and you know exactly what each part in the chain is doing, tone-wise.

Yeah... you're probably right. I shall cease with the experiments. I really just need to get a nice amp...

Ether- I WAS shooting for an 80's sound :lol: - but whatever. I wrote that first riff after Static asked me to throw a track together for him to sing over and I said "I should do a super cheesy 80's cock rock song." I went with that to run through the bandit cuz the more metal tones I've gotten out of gsuite sounded extremely cold and harsh when I tried.

midic- question: with amplitude do you find it any easier to track? It'd be cool to use amplitude to get the guitar timed right from the start and not have to move them around and then use gsuite for the actual sound.

It's odd that you found the sounds out of GuitarSuite to be cold and harsh. I find the opposite. Usually there's a ton of mids there I'm fighting with. I have issues with the low-end of the guitars... it just totally disappears in the mix for some reason.

Moonlapse said:
It's odd that you found the sounds out of GuitarSuite to be cold and harsh. I find the opposite. Usually there's a ton of mids there I'm fighting with. I have issues with the low-end of the guitars... it just totally disappears in the mix for some reason.

I totoaly agree with just using guitarsuite on its own.

Yea man the tone is very weak .....