Quick DI shootout (jdi, great river, fireface)

jauernis

Feb 11, 2007
Frisco, CA
www.myspace.com
This is using a borrowed PRS guitar. Sloppy playing and didnt really watch the meters too much. Only 15 second clips zipped up file. I've been getting reviews that my DI's are a bit lifeless and I think I figured out what the issue was. (my chain was too long I had a compressor that I was bypassing that seemed to degrage the signal, so went straight from the great river to the fireface) So now I need help deciding which DI you guys would pick if you were reamping these tracks.

The DI's are:
One through great river
One through JDI through great river
One through Fireface (seems to be my favorite)

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ruwh85

Marcus I hope you can take a listen and let me know your thoughts when you read this. Thanks!!

Hey man, I imported 'em in Reaper and ran 'em through Wagner and one of my impulses; I couldn't really tell much of a difference between 'em with that setup, though I think the differences will probably be greater once I get a chance to re-amp 'em through the ol' Dual Rec - I might not be able to do it tomorrow, but definitely Saturday! I should mention, though, that the lack of tuning made it...difficult to listen repeatedly ;)

Alright, gave 'em a quick re-amp through my Dual Rec - I gotta be honest, the playing was pretty inconsistent from take to take, so it's hard to judge whether the differences I hear are from the DI box or the performance, but I found the Fireface and GR to sound pretty indistinguishable, and the JDI to have more openness and clarity (especially on the open power chords). Here's the link!

Awesome thanks Marcus! Can't wait for your shootout! I might get a red eye myself to do a shootout of the jdi and red eye...

Are you plugging the red eye straight into the mackie xlr to xlr?

When I'm using it as a DI, you mean? Yeah, guitar --> Redeye --> Onyx, via XLR-XLR, and then when reamping, Mackie --> Redeye via TRS-XLR --> TS7 --> Amp

HOLY CRAP - I just looked on the Radial website, and apparently the JDI has an input impedance of 10 kOhms, a far cry from the 1 MOhm which was touted as the "golden figure" in the preparing your tracks for reamping thread! However, it sounds pretty good to me!

Well Red Eye is on her way! :) I'll do a comparison. I have my fireface pre's that I will plug into and one solid preamp in the great river. I'll try to compare both of those as well. I wish I could avoid the preamp and just go straight from the red eye into the trs input on the front of the fireface (not the hi-z).

Well Red Eye is on her way! :) I'll do a comparison. I have my fireface pre's that I will plug into and one solid preamp in the great river. I'll try to compare both of those as well. I wish I could avoid the preamp and just go straight from the red eye into the trs input on the front of the fireface (not the hi-z).

A passive reamp box should in theory work in reverse allowing you to go straight into a line in on your interface. It could be worth a shot if you really want to bypass the preamp.