Quick mix of my SLO 100 clone

Wolfeman

I Prefer EL-34s. So What?
Feb 21, 2006
Cleveland
:headbang:

Put this together really quick just to give you guys an idea of how my SLO clone sounds. SLO test

Ignore pretty much everything. Drums are just EZdrummer grooves, my right guitar tracks are not tight(I did this real quick, just kept my first takes). No bass or anything like that.

Settings on the SLO were(clock reference)-
Gain- 12
Bass- 3:30
Mid- 3
Treb- 3:30
Master- 9
Pres- 2
Depth 2:30

It's late so I couldn't crank it. Hence the low master.

Guitar was a POS Dean I just bought today for $80.
Next clip I'll use one of my EMG loaded guitars.

Sounds great. Did you piece the clone together or buy a kit? I've never built an amp but would like to try.

-Joe

pieced it together off of the schematic and layout. $750 all together, the only thing I really went cheap on was the transformers, and I'm glad I did, because they fuckin rock

pieced it together off of the schematic and layout. $750 all together, the only thing I really went cheap on was the transformers, and I'm glad I did, because they fuckin rock

What's your background in electronics? Are you an electrician/ electrical engineer, etc by trade, or is it just a hobby?
What sort of things are good to start off with to build up to the amp in order to understand both the schematics and the signal flow for it to work?

What's your background in electronics? Are you an electrician/ electrical engineer, etc by trade, or is it just a hobby?
What sort of things are good to start off with to build up to the amp in order to understand both the schematics and the signal flow for it to work?

I just do this as a hobby. I'm the kind of person that pics up on things pretty easily(you show me once, I can do it sort of thing). I have no background in electronics. I read a few books a while back, that's about it.

I started with an AX84 build, which IMO is a great starting point, and as long as you can solder you shouldn't have a problem. I then modded my Valve Jr. to hell and back, which was a good learning point. Then I started on the SLO. I just built a BYOC ultimate fuzz too(fuzz face), cost me $35 by getting the stuff on my own(they charge like $75 for the kit).

If you are even slightly interested in DIY stuff, I say get crackin at it:headbang: There is nothing like the feeling you get when you play through stuff that you built, at a fraction of the cost.

If you want to get into the high gain build like this, sign up for the Sloclone forums. The guys there will answer any questions that arise(and I do mean anything). There are also parts lists, schematics, PCB layouts and turret board layouts. Someone just added a dual eq layout also. Great place to start. Also, Weber makes a SLO kit, called the Heather. Pretty much the same build as mine, he just changed a few values of components and used cheaper crap. His kit is only $680.

Weber makes a SLO kit, called the Heather. Pretty much the same build as mine, he just changed a few values of components and used cheaper crap. His kit is only $680.

Do you know how much different the "Heather" kit is compared to the one you built, tone wise?

I'm looking at getting it just to mess around with... I figure I'll buy a couple of their smaller kits and put them together first and then get that one...

Wow, I must have been busy to have missed this. Thanks for the response Wolfeman. My understanding of electronics (power handling {both for components and humans}, components, etc) is pretty average. Any recommendations for reading material?

Cool man!

I'll be getting a chance to record an actual SLO100, as well as the X99 rackmount version in the next few weeks, so we'll be able to see how your clone stands up to the real deal.

Projects like this are always exciting. Lots of guys around here making SSL knockoff channel strips, and various preamps.