Quick question about drummers/tempo maps

koalamo

Aug 24, 2009
Hicktown New York.
I'm recording a band today (horrible band, so bad I'm considering having my friends come in and replay all the instruments when they leave) but anyway, I've never recorded a drummer before

How do you guys go about sudden tempo changes when tracking, i was thinking of spacing out the scratch guitar so that there's 4 measure of click so he can get the feel for the tempo before the actual next part comes in but this will take quite awhile to do. Is there an easier way or do you guys just have him play the whole part as a continuous take?

Personally I would just do the tempo drops I do this all the time, even if I have to letbdrummer play each verse chorus separate, then edit them. If the drummer knows the song there should be no problems

Yeah Cubase has that feature as well, called PreCount. Pretty sure PT has this as well.

The only problem is that it will only record at the very beginning of the measure with the tempo change. This will likely lead to a tiny bit getting cut off if the drummer comes in even just a tiny bit early and it is very noticeable. I am not sure if there is any workaround for this, is there?

I have always just copied and pasted a few hits from different points in the song to fix the transient. I would love to know if anyone knows how to avoid this?

Logic nine you can punch in record using the marquee strip, what ever its called. Or with shift and R i think, either way.......

Also in logic 9 you can pull back as far as the pre-count so for this i set pre-count of four bars then the drummer plays along after two, gives me two bars to blend.