quick question for steve

Dec 30, 2010
Just a quick technical question on keyboards/midi controllers really. Been playing keyboards for some months on a really basic old casio I found lying up in the attic at my parents house (pretty much a kids keyboard).

Now that I have some basic level of skill, I want to buy something I can actually make some decent sounds on.

Here's my question though: the thing that kinda puts me off a few of the ones I've looked at is that lots of the inexpensive synths only have 3 octaves. If I hooked up a midi controller which had more keys, and played keys higher or lower than that which the synth had, would the synth be like "ok, that's this pitch, play this note", or would it just get confused and not play them?

hope that's clear, i have a tendency to ramble a bit! :lol:

As a keyboardist myself, I would like to know this as well. However, because I am a minimalist, I always prefer to just use one or two keyboards and not bother with MIDI controllers simply because complex things like synthesizer technology scare me.

I would look to get a 61 note keyboard of some description to base your setup around.....now all this is going to depend on budget etc

I'm sure nowadays you could pick up a 61 note Korg Triton pro for example for a very reasonable price, or even the 61 note version of the Triton Extreme. While these are workstation devices, they have full midi integration, built in sequencing and a certain amount of sample ability as well.

The only time I use a midi controller is when I'm using the "keytar" but you could go another way and buy a 61, 76 or even 88 note midi controller and go for rack mounted versions of the keyboard or keyboards you might wish to use.

Another option would be using "soft synths" running from a laptop and controlled by a midi controller keyboard. There are a number of different ways to approach this but I just thought I'd scribble a few words to start with

You could also check out the Korg X 50 as well http://www.gak.co.uk/en/korg-x-50/3770

Incidentally, if anyone happens to see a Korg Oasys for sale.......let me know! :)

if anyone happens to see a Korg Oasys for sale.......let me know! :)

Woah, just checked on ebay out of interest for one of these....
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Complete-Korg-OASYS-76-/320643137240?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Pro_Audio_Synthesisers_CV&hash=item4aa7d1fed8

i'll save a search for you if you want and let you know if any better prices come up (assume the one in the link is quite expensive but i have no idea of this realm of technology :Spin: it's certainly expensive to me! :lol:)

That's actually a reasonable price....depending on the wear and tear. I'd be looking for the 88 note version though, although thanks for sending the link.

Very much looking forward to checking out the new Korg Kronos that has just debuted at NAMM

Oh yea, the Kronos looks absolutely beautiful. That's one impressive thing.

oh man, that thing is amazing.

yeah i'll probably end up getting a korg triton off ebay when i have the money, by the looks of things theyre only going for like £300, which is awesome