Quitting Smoking

When my wife quit, she bought a big bag of "sweet wood" (I think it's called Licorice?), and whenever she had the urge, she just chewed on one of those.

It doesn't help with the nicotine deficit of course, but you might be surprised how much of your addiction is the oral activity. And I do realize that I'm opening the door for different themes here.

I've been off smokes for 4 years. I switched to the e-cigarette, but unfortunately never got off that. I'm on 0 nicotine so it's basically a placebo at this point. Not as healthy as being a non-smoker, but no carcinogens either. Never been happier

So - what your saying.... is that you have an oral fixation? ;)

Just kidding with you :wave:

While never smoking myself, I know how hard it for people to give up the habit. When I was diagnosed with Leukemia and required a Bone Marrow Transplant back in 2004 my wife had a pack a day habit that she quit cold turkey. I told her she didn't have to do it that way, but she wanted to. Nervous about my health and trying to quit smoking at the same time made her a basket case for several months, but she did it and has not smoked since - even though she still gets the urge anytime someone smokes around her.

Lots of props for anyone successfully kicking the habit.

i quit about 20 months ago, i was drunk rolled one last cigarete and threw the rest of my tobacco in the bin, stopped cold turkey, untill august there, completely crumbled and have been back on them,

its extremely hard,and the first week or two will be terrible, i personally got really sleepy and lazy with headaches, but im quitting at the end of this month again, can't financially afford it and im so pissed at myself for breaking the amount of time i had off them, this chart drove me to try and achieve goals of not smoking mile stones and try to make a game from it,
70x57b.gif

So - what your saying.... is that you have an oral fixation? ;)

Just kidding with you :wave:

While never smoking myself, I know how hard it for people to give up the habit. When I was diagnosed with Leukemia and required a Bone Marrow Transplant back in 2004 my wife had a pack a day habit that she quit cold turkey. I told her she didn't have to do it that way, but she wanted to. Nervous about my health and trying to quit smoking at the same time made her a basket case for several months, but she did it and has not smoked since - even though she still gets the urge anytime someone smokes around her.

Lots of props for anyone successfully kicking the habit.

No two ways around it, definitely an oral fixation. I need to be either eating, puffing the e-cig or eating a vagoo. Nothing wrong with grown-up pacifiers!

Crazy story, btw. It's true, if someone is motivated enough, anything is possible. Even quitting an addiction equal to heroin/cocaine cold turkey. Much props!

Wow! Lots of responses. Thank you guys!

I think for me, it is DEFINITELY a psychological thing. I need to really get my head around that I am going to quit and want to quit because it always seems like a "I'll do it tomorrow" kind of thing.

From speaking to a few friends who have quit they have offered some good advice too. Setting yourself a date as to when you are going to quit and telling people that date seemed to help some of them. Also, on the weeks leading up to the day, smoke way more than you usually would, even when you don't want to.

I know there is absolutely zero benefit to this disgusting habit, but as I said in the original post, after trying once and failing, I'm worried I'll fail again. I want to nail this on the head before it gets any worse (only been smoking around 4/5 years) and stop wasting my money on these death sticks.

Also, on the weeks leading up to the day, smoke way more than you usually would, even when you don't want to.

As horrible as this sounds, I can see how it would help.

Even after a night or 2 of hard partying, I wake up feeling like there's an ashtray in my lungs, and this makes me not want a smoke for almost an entire day sometimes.

Willpower.....Stay strong and good luck!