Quitting Smoking

setyouranchor

Celestial Recordings
May 17, 2010
North Wales, UK
Whats up fellas!

As the title says, I'm looking to try and quit smoking, but anyone who has smoked knows it's not that easy.

I kind of tried the Allan Carr audio book but wasn't 100% into, went a day and a half without and crumbled back to it again :p

Since that, it's kind of scared me into not trying again because of how hard it was.

Just looking for some advice and general chat!

I finally kicked the habit about 8 months ago after smoking for about 13 years and several failed attempts at quitting. Nicorette gum helped me at the beginning with the cravings. I also started to hike and run a lot. I have an addictive personality so I just had to find healthy alternatives. I fell in love with trail running. It serves as a healthier "addiction" to take the place of smoking, and it also motivates me to stay away from cigarettes. It's hard to run if your lungs are fucking trashed.

Don't be afraid of nicotine replacement. Before I used gum to give up, I had hellish anxiety attacks that would wake me up in the middle of the night and stay with me for hours.

I need to quit as well. Smoked for probably 15 years strong. Now at a pack and a half a day.

Plus, I love beer. For some reason the 2 go hand in hand. I also have an addictive personality.

Recently been waking up in the mornings coughing and wheezing. Not fun and after a good weekend of partying, today I've only had about 5 cigarettes due to feeling like shit.

It's very hard to quit especially when you don't have many hobbies and not much to do near where you live as well. I find boredom to be the ultimate culprit for me.

Try to stay busy and strong is my best advice. I think I'll make cutting back (a lot) and eventually quitting my New Years Resolution, even though I always fail.

Not worth it in the long run. My girlfriends mother died of lung cancer and it's apparently a VERY horrible thing to witness someone die of that.

I've been off smokes for 4 years. I switched to the e-cigarette, but unfortunately never got off that. I'm on 0 nicotine so it's basically a placebo at this point. Not as healthy as being a non-smoker, but no carcinogens either. Never been happier

e-cigg helped a friend of mine, just buy them with less and less nicotine in them over time. They actually work and taste pretty good, I tried the blueberry one recently and it's so much better than tobacco, it's actually enjoyable.

I just quit smoking this year after 10 years of the shit. I went the E-cig route. If there is any advice I can offer on it, go to a shop that sells them, don't get the shitty gas station ones. Get a starter kit and try out flavors before you buy them. At first, you want something that tastes as close to the real thing as you can get, but after a month or two, that tastes like shit and you can move on to the other awesome flavors and tailor them to compliment whatever beer/liquor you like to drink. It helps a lot, but you definitely have to be in the state of mind that you are never going to buy a pack again.

Been smoking for 4 years. I started when I was 18. I'm a really light smoker. 4 cigs a day does me good. But I really wanna quit as well.

Just keep in mind that you're at a high risk for lung cancer if you keep doing it...

This is coming from the 'edge' kid who has never smoked before, though... ;)

if you WANT to quit enough, you'll quit... i smoked for 25 years and went cold turkey.. for 5 days i wanted to kill people, then it just gets easier and you realise what a fucking disgusting and pointless habit it is..
im now one of those "non smokers" Bill Hicks used to despise hahahahaha

edit: good luck!!!!

Some tips: tho i started smoking again after more then 3 years after i quit.
Work-out, do some sport, best is at a place where smoking is taboo. You will feel ashamed.
Don't count the days, the weeks, the years, it means you are still quitting and you will reward you one days with a smoke.
Avoid having an hour lunchbreak at your work being in a place full of women who have children, everytime a different one has a monologue for an hour about her kid/husband/shit this was so fucking irritating. The smokers wich went outside are cooler, just dont get tempted.
One smoke is bad, one leads to another one and so on.
Your lust for a smoke always stays, it will never go away, even ppl who stopped for over 20 years say this. The smoke someone else has near you will smell awesome, it's smell like tho good old days, like something really good you didnt do for a very long time. Again, dont get tempted.
Some other thing wich might motivate you: compare the thing in your pants, after only a few weeks it will be alot more colorfull (not that i had actual issues with it).
Nicorette gum also helps, don't take flavoured one, the taste of the normal one sucks so you will quit with that one also.

I think the best tip I ever read on how to quit was from Lasse:

"Don't put a cigarette in your mouth" :lol:

I've been on-off smoker for about 4 years now. Really sucks to be addicted, but it seems I don't have enough willpower yet to stop, when me GF still smokes.

I should really quite, but at the end of the day, at this point in time, I enjoy smoking, and don't actually WANT to quit, and judging by what everyone seems to have said about it, if you don't want to quit, you won't do it. So, i'll give it a few more years :D

Stopped in 2009 after 17 years of intense smoking, cold turkey. Quitting is easy, don't let anyone make you think otherwise. Stoping fapping/fucking is much harder.

^ ahah !

Smoked for just 5 years (luckily). Gradually stopped by reducing each day. Haven't smoked for about 2 months :)
Seriously it's all in your head. if you want to stop, just stop. It's all up to you man, good luck !

Get Laura to stop, too - it's gonna be impossible for either one of you if the other is smoking, too.

Maybe make a deal; whenever you two feel like a fag at the same time, just have a quickie instead.

I've (semi) successfully cut back in just the past few days and also made a 'smoking only outside' rule here. I hate having to go out to smoke in the cold. But it makes me smoke less and it smells so much better inside.