R.I.P. Metal Dave 1971-2010

oh my god. I cannot believe this. Dave was such a cool guy - always smiling and always positive at the fest every year. He was one of the first people who spoke to me years ago when I was still one of the wallflowers. So I've always attributed him with helping me come out of my shell.

I'll miss him. :cry:

Mike - seriously man, my condolences go out to you especially because I know you and Dave were great friends.

Incredibly sad news. I didn't know him personally, but as Greg said earlier, it's always sad to lose one of the extended family. My condolences to his family and friends. RIP.

Oh God !! That is terrible. I am in Alabama, so he was a homeboy. RIP my brother. I actually didn't know him personally, or if I did, didn't correlate the moniker and person, but Roll Tide my friend and we will meet one day, my Brother !!

Bryant

Oh God !! That is terrible. I am in Alabama, so he was a homeboy. RIP my brother. I actually didn't know him personally, or if I did, didn't correlate the moniker and person, but Roll Tide my friend and we will meet one day, my Brother !!

Bryant

Bryant, you probably dealt with him and didn't realize it. Tall guy, always helped me at my Exploding Ned booth. Always made it "an event". It will definitely take some time to accept our metal bro is gone. 38 is far too young.

this was posted on Dave's wall by Lindsay, the absolute love of his life:

"Dave's wake will be held at the Tuscaloosa Memorial Chapel (off 216) on Monday 6-8pm. His funeral is at 2pm Tuesday. Please spread the word. Also, bring any pictures you might have of Dave. We are setting up a photo/memories ...board at the wake, so people can remember his life and how he has touched theirs."

then she followed with:

"Dave died of an aneurysm Thursday May 27.
Dave left instructions that in case anything happened to him, I was to make sure all his friends knew. All, please help me do this. ~Lindsay"

if you can, please go and pay your respects to one hell of an awesome guy...

Dave, you were loved and will be missed

From the Tuscaloosa News today...

David Brian Standifer

COTTONDALE David Brian Standifer, age 38, of Cottondale, died May 28, 2010, at home. Services will be 2 p.m. Tuesday at Tuscaloosa Memorial Chapel Funeral Home. Burial will follow in Tuscaloosa Memorial Park with Tuscaloosa Memorial Chapel Funeral directing. Visitation will be Monday from 6 to 8 p.m. at the funeral home.
Published in Tuscaloosa News on May 30, 2010

WOW!!! CD Inzane LLC and our entire staff wish his family peace during this time.

Heather and myself knew Dave for being right next to Ted's booth for the last many years. We've literally had hours of conversation, drank beers together and Heather and Dave would bull-shit for hours.

Dave was one of THE coolest guys we've known at progpower over the last 7-years of attendance.

Many may not have known but Dave use to take the train in hundreds of miles away to help Ned each year at progpower.

God bless you Dave!!! You now have streets of gold...

Hugz, Zane and Heather...

I will type this up as I listen to Joy Division, somehow seems fitting.
I'm sorry to hear of Dave's passing and I sent my condolences to the friends and family.
He was much to young for this to have happened. It brings a lot to mind realizing that he was only a couple of years older than me and considering I had a lot of head trauma myself and think that might be my way out too.
With all this talk of death lately it does make one think of a lot of things I don't normally think about anymore. And maybe the soundtrack doesn't help. But it does bring a few things into perspective as I remember what Scott Waldrop said after Tony Taylor's passing. It basically summed up to say that all the pettiness we bicker over especially like in here is simply that; "petty". Life is to short for us all to hold any animosity.

I don't think "sadness" accurately describes how terrible this news is. :( I didn't talk to Dave all that much, just some general chit-chat when getting my name tag, but he seemed to be a nice guy. Condolences to his friends and family.

I didn't know Dave very well or for very long but we talked every now n' then thru emails and always met up for a chat or two at ProgPower.. But what I did know of him - He was such a kick ass guy...

Its just not going to be the same without him there... very sad.....

If it is the same Dave the Metal Guy who had that run-in with the 18 year old program director, I would counter that he died of a broken heart. He loved doing that show so much. My condolences to his family on their tragic loss. Recquiesence en Pace.

Same Dave, but actually he'd gotten past that incident, and was in fact in the planning stages of starting a radio station there in Tuscaloosa. And he and his ladyfriend Lindsay were very much an item, so he did spend his last months very happy, thankfully. But yeah, he was definitely into doing the show, and turned countless friends and listeners onto metal there.

If it is the same Dave the Metal Guy who had that run-in with the 18 year old program director, I would counter that he died of a broken heart. He loved doing that show so much. My condolences to his family on their tragic loss. Recquiesence en Pace.