R.I.P. Superman

Matt Crooks

www.fools-game.com
Feb 13, 2004
Mid-Atlantic, USA
www.fools-game.com
Rest In Peace Mr. Reeve.

As a kid the Superman movies were some of my favorites.

Christopher Reeve was an inspiration to all. He fought a good fight for nine years, but apparently his body just gave up on him. He never let his injury bring him down - he continued to work and continued to work for charity. I think the world has lost a great man.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Movies/10/11/obit.reeve.ap/index.html

Yeah, that's a shame, and I'm sure the most the major news organizations will do is spin up the bullshit about the superman curse and all that. He really was a fighter and an inspiration after his paralysis.

My heart sunk when I heard the news on NPR today. Thankfully, I have yet to hear of the curse yet. It was great hearing him in talk during old interview footage from 2002. He sounded strong and healthy. Before that, all I remembered was his very labored attempst at speaking, pre-2000. I think he was on a respirator or something - it was sad. I'm so happy he saw so much progress in his later years.

The curse of Superman refers to George Reeves who played Superman in a TV series in the 50's. He commited suicide so everyone thought that role was cursed. Especially when Christoher Reeves had his accident, Superstition if you ask me as Dean Kane seems to be doing just fine.

My heart sank a bit as well when I read the news. He was a true fighter.

-Cal

you left out the part about Margot Kidder (who played Lois Lane in the 80's Superman movies) being found in someone's backyard woodpile missing her two front teeth.

And as for Dean Cain, his career has reached the point that he played Scott Peterson in a made for TV movie. That's a curse....heh.

Yeah, Cain's physically fine, his career is just dead. :D

As for Reeve, you have to admire his tenacity in the face of incredible adversity. While it's been aptly pointed out that he had access to resources that most people who have these injuries don't, he also maximized his use of those resources. Not only for his personal quest, either, but to use his media presence to spread awareness of the plight of others like him, and to push for research for ways to repair these injuries.

It's been said that the measure of a man is how he reacts to adversity, and Mr. Reeve has surpassed to the myth he played on screen. The world is a better place for him having been in it.