Rabs and Jim

ironcross

Crossy
Apr 12, 2001
www.downunderclansmen.com
A few months ago I asked you guys if you could download and upload the sound settings for the POD. In my dreaming that one day I shall have one I visited http://www.line6.com and they have a section where you can download sound settings for different bands.

Just thought you might want to see that if you haven't seen it before. Could be very handy for when more of us purchase pods and can swap sounds :)

When we answered the question, we did not say yes?

Thats not the only site where they have tones (although its the biggest). You need to have it hooked up via midi to just download it though. Otherwise you need to set the knobs manually.

I have it hooked up to my SB Live Platinum via midi cables now...and I have their sounddriver software installed...which allows me to upload and download tones/settings...and gives me more refined controls than the knobs. Its pretty cool.

Yea..if you ever get one Crossy, the first guitarist could record, upload the sound settings and you could download....and tweak/modify a bit for your guitar and to fatten the sound on the song. That would give us phenominal recordings. :)

I have all the settings I have used for the IMG saved...although lately, I have been sticking to one tone for Maiden tunes.

I have yet to hook the POD up to my PC via MIDI..... Don't know if its laziness or the fact that you can get killer tones right from the knobs and pre-sets....

Im looking at the pod for using it live. I don't want to use the amp sims live but just want to use the effects. Do you know if you can turn the pre amps off and just use some effects in a loop with the amp. I really need a pedal bad as my zoom is lossing sound when im playing live :( It makes life hard!!

Im saving for a Pod now so I should have one in a month or so.. so im going to hold back on my IMG recordings until then!

Im not quite sure if you can do that..... There is a bypass selection, but thats for choosing effects not amps. I don't think your going to want to use it as an effects rack.....

Yea you can. Set the amp dial to 'none'...and set the cabinet setting to 'air'. It was designed for other instruments/etc to be able to use the effects and such.

I dunno what you use the zoom for..but the POD in this mode will not do much. You can use the reverb, basic EQ, delay, chorus, etc...but NO distortion.

I'm with Jim though......you probably can use it..but it wouldn't be the best thing in the world..I think....Its been so engineered around the idea of it being a mini recording tool.

Well I mainly want some effects. Im not worried about having a million. I don't want distortion, I just want to use the amps distortion.

Currently I use my zoom in an effects loop with my amp. I mainly use one sound normal playing sound and one for solo boost.

I mainly want the pod for recording but if it can replace the zoom for the time being. My zoom is pumping out digital distortion into my amp even when there isn't any pre amps on. Its also cutting out all the time.

I read through the online version of the POD 2.0 manual and if you put the cable to the amp into one of the outputs (not the air output) it apparently disables the AIR feature which I believe is the section that emulates the amp sounds :)

Can one of you guys just test this out sometime for me. I would be very greatful :)

You can totally use it for that mate.

There is a physical switch that exists next to the outputs that allows you to switch it to 'air' - which basically circumvents the cabinet modeling. Setting the Amp model to 'Tube Preamp' disables any amp modeling (it does both).

I don't have a head, so I can't test it quite the way you want...but I have hooked it up directly to a cabinet from the output. Works fine. :)

You can even buy a footswitch for it that allows you to change to pre-programmed patches.

Great thanks Rabs.

If the Pod can fix both my problems at once it would be a the best. Any idea on how much the small external footswitch costs?

oh and are the effects good? Some of these things have dodgy effects :)

I wanna say the footpedal costs another $100 or so...but I am not sure.
The non amp/cabinet modeling effects...are pretty standard fare. Nothing spectacular to write home about...but not bad.

You got reverb - which will be flaky for you...as it emulates the reverb on the amp model you select....

but otherwise you have a tremelo, compressor, 2 types of chorus, 2 flangers, a rotary, and delay. Here is the kicker. You can only have one type of effect on at one time....with the exception of delay and reverb.
Meaning you cannot have the flange and chorus on simultaneous...or tremelo and chorus...etc..

Take a look at the pictures on the line6 page...shows the effect settings.