Radial Pro48 vs J48

Plendakor

Oct 30, 2010
J48: 199$
Pro48: 99$

I have passive pick-ups, I want to record DIs but play on my amplifier while tracking.

Will I have any advantage with the J48 ?
Thanks!

I guess it's a little higher quality, it's twice the price.

You'll always find something higher quality with everything.. If it does the job and the signal is perfect, that's what I need. I don't need 56 functions.
Convince me/tell me why I shouldn't buy the Pro 48.
99$ is apealing. 200$ I'll pass

Countrymans have large THD at maximum level in specifications... maybe due to FET preamp.
J48 (and Pro 48) have low inpedance of 220k, less than optimal 1 MOhm.
Radial have rail voltage of 9 Vpp and can handle up to +10 dbu for J48 and +9 dbu for Pro 48, also not so much...

hey Deluther, do you mean by "not so much" that it wouldn't be optimal for re-amping purposes ?

What about simply recording DIs from passive pick-ups ? (Seymour Sh6)

+9 dbu is 2.2 Vp (peak Volts), It`s like EMGs at 9 V supply, passive pickups can deliver even more, they can have 4-6 Vp, because there is no limitations.
I`m think that if you pick hard enough, than you can have more than 2 Vp with SH6 :)

My Mic/Line/Instrument preamp (that also serves as active splitter device to monitor through amp and can be used as reamper device to convert balanced input to unbalanced output) have 30 Vpp rail voltage, so it can handle much more with low distortion. But it available only in Russia for the current moment, for around 150$ you can have complete preamp solution that rivals units with much higher price tag.
My tracks with passives usually have peak level around +14 dbu or so.

Thanks for the info man
I've ordered the Pro 48 in the meantime so I'll see how it performs.

Radial stuff is quite expensive but I'm sure they don't make any crap

But they also can made so so products... for example Radial approach for reampers leads to significant volume reduction...
Radial ProRMP can be modded to avoid this problems, but X-Amp, due to active nature, tough to mod, at least you need to capture it`s schematics to analyze possibilities :)

I use active pickups, but in all honesty, I like my Radial ProDI better than my Countryman. My countryman is noisy as hell.

It's always fun when you order something and get it delivered during the same week :lol:

Okay so now I have it, it's phantom powered (great) but on my interface I have the "Hi-Z" option on my 2nd XLR input and I'm wondering if I should use that ? I don't use it with condenser mics but that's an active DI.. using guitars.. I dunno ?

Late comment on the topic:

Passive pickup Guitars AND Basses are both High Impedance Instruments (Pickups Ränge from 5-25kOhms)

These Generally Work best with High Impedance active DIs. These Convert the Signal to Low Impedance Usually using an FET Signal path, that Generally is better at Handling high Intensity Low End and give Higher Output.

In simple: with a passive Pickup instrument into an active DI ( auch as J48 ) you get extended Range (Clean deep Bass, clear but not accented Highs) and real playing dynamics, whereas with a passive DI you get a slightly muddy, Mode midfocused Signal, still workable but not as good and Clean a Signal.

If you have a decent soundcard with a Hi Z Input, Its probably Well usable.

Passive DIs (as the Radial Pros) are better with Low to mid Impedance active output devices Like Keyboards, laptops etc.