Radial ProRMP

krokit

Noisey B*****d
Dec 5, 2005
London
Hey guys those of you that use the Radial ProRMP.. Whats the story with the output volume (screw) Does turning it fully clockwise equal unity gain, or is unity gain somwhere in the middle of its travel? Cheers ;)

www.ascapestudios.com

It still has some degree of attenuation in the fully clockwise position. I there was a thread on here a while back about it. If you want to get it up to unity you need to remove 2 resistors and solder some cable in their place. I'll see if I can find the thread.

yes (it's a passive unit)
No, unit have voltage divider before transformer, it alone reduces signal by 8 db, if I`m remember correctly. I modded my ProRMP by removing resistors associated with divider (3, not 2) and only after this modification unit have unity gain. Photos and measurements in thread mentioned in previous post.

No, unit have voltage divider before transformer, it reduces signal by 8 db, if I`m remember correctly. I modded my ProRMP by removing resistors associated with divider (3, not 2) and only after this modification unit have unity gain.

I was merely implying the unit can't boost the signal, not that it restore the exact theoretical unity gain but thanks for the hint.
I've never found this attenuation to be a problem when reamping tho.

Overall attenuation of unmodified device is like 11 db, which is pretty to much for me :)
Even with +20 dbu outputs. Not a large problem, but can be avoided, unlike ProRMP big brother X-Amp...

So basically you rip out all 3 of those resistors and solder any kind of conductor across R1 and R2? electronics noob here, would like to try that mod.

Brandon E., yes, exactly.
If you see measurement plot at end of thread, bass response becomes better, top end response can be changed by using cable of different length from reamper to amp (longer cable - more highs).