radio listeners

Feb 11, 2002
TUSCALOOSA, ALABAMA
i just read this at fmqb.com

Radio Listenership Remains Strong
trans.gif
September 20, 2007
American Media Services (AMS) has released a new survey, finding that radio listenership levels are holding steady, despite the so-called threat of iPods, satellite radio and other media options. The national poll found that most people listen to the radio daily, and say they listen as much or more than five years ago.
According to AMS, 63 percent of American adults listen to the radio at least once a day, a consistent number with AMS figures from August 2006 and April 2007. The strongest listening was among those ages 25-34, with 79 percent saying they listen daily.
AMS says that 74 percent of Americans are listening to as much or more radio than they did five years ago. Also, 74 percent reported turning on the radio when they get in the car, including 72 percent of those 18-24 years old and 80 percent of those 25-34.
When asked which factors would prompt more radio listening, more music and less commercials were the most popular. Coming in last was "more talk."
The survey also found satellite radio subscription levels flat at just 11 percent. Among non-subscribers, 89 percent said they were unlikely to sign up in the next 12 months, up from 81 percent in April.
"These are strong findings. Many analysts seem to be enthralled with the technology of satellite radio, but the buying public isn�t. Satellite radio continues to fill only a small niche in the marketplace," said Edward F. Seeger, AMS President/CEO. "The AMS Radio Index demonstrates that while those who have satellite radio like it, those who don�t have it don�t want it, and regular radio continues being an important part of Americans� daily lives."

Interesting information....

I remember once upon a time I used to listen to radio very frequently. But now, and for about the past 5 years or so, I bet my total radio listening time is less than about 2 hours per year. That's no exaggeration. The first thing I do is pop in a CD in the car when I'm on the go. When at home my wife sometimes turns on the radio but more often than not radio is replaced with a CD. Not sure why we do this actually although here in the Dallas area at least our choices for decent (subjective term I admit) radio programming are scarce at best and those stations are often teeming with commercial after commercial or inane DJ banter that we have no interest in. I wish they would just play their music or perform their scheduled program and cut out all the other crap! :erk:

I used to listen to the radio all the time. Actually I still to, technically. I connect my iPod to an FM transmitter and it sends the signal to my radio. So I *am* listening to the radio, just not a regular broadcast station.

If I do listen to the radio, it's to listen to the news on the local all-news station here in the DC area. Other than that - crank the iPod. :kickass::headbang:

I listen to the Radio a LOT! I rarely listen to music, but I am always listening to talk radio... A couple of hours everyday!

Same here.....but only for my morning dose of news, weather and traffic. (And Neal Boortz, but that's a side-issue; I'm primarily there for the traffic reports.)

Other than the mornings, my iPod rules my car.