Radio-ready hard rock in F?! WTF and balls?!

Jordon

Sep 14, 2008
Chicago
So, even though every thread I make on any forum dies a horrible, untimely death, I'm posting this anyway. ENJOY!

Little background: I have been producing this band, Daylight Dawns (out of Chicago, IL) since their inception. Working as kind-of a 6th member, I've watched these guys mature over the past two years. This is the singer and the drummer's first band! Anywho, I'm working with them on a new EP, and they had this song in F when we did prepro. I said "fuckit, let's do it," because, how often do you get to record a hard rock band with a song in drop F, anyway?

The reason I'm posting this is because I'm particularly happy with the drums. Here's a mix f the drums. It's a WAV, so beware:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3463841/Janus Stuff/F1.Drum Mix.F1.wav

Here's a rundown of the drums and what I did:

The kit was an old Pearl Export with a PDP Ace snare.

Kick: D112, Beta52a, home-made subkick, stacked with the "GearMan" kick. My favorite at the moment.
Snare: 414 top, 421 btm, stacked with a "fat city"-sounding sample.
Side-snare (Pearl Firecracker): SM57 top
Tom1: 421
Tom2: 421
Tom 3: 414
Hats: SM7b
Ride Group: SM81
OH's: Rode NT1a set
Room: Gauge ECM87's

I'm really proud of these drums, especially the toms and snare. I have the PDP Ace, Firecracker, and 3 other snares from these sessions in WAV, Battery3 and TCI formats that I'm considering putting in a pack and selling. I'll probably give this snare away for free if there's any interest.

Here's a mix of the full song (rough, just threw it together and walked away a few weeks ago..waiting to mix the EP after the band I'm currently tracking):

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3463841/Janus Stuff/F1.Full Mix. VR 1 .wav

Guitars were a couple PRS's (Custom 22, SE One, Mushok Baritone) through a Rivera K Tre and Soldano SLO 100 through a custom Rivera cab.

Bass was a Warwick $$ Corvette 5 string.

Enjoy, and as always, tear that shit apart!!

Wow, I really love this! Mix and song are both great. Only criticism: the glitchy bit at 1:39 sounds a bit too glitchy, sounds like my computer is lagging or something.

Wow, I really love this! Mix and song are both great. Only criticism: the glitchy bit at 1:39 sounds a bit too glitchy, sounds like my computer is lagging or something.

Yea, I think I'm going to calm that way down, maybe have it follow the fill there.

Thanks for the words guys!