Some more mixed drums. Roomy and rocky.

Jordon

Sep 14, 2008
Chicago
Two snippets of final drums for an album I'm currently mixing.

A few notes: Mixed totally ITB besides a hardware LA2A on the snare (barely doing anything). I did not record these drums, only edited and mixed. Because of that the kick was totally replaced. The tracked kick sounded great, but it was too "basketball-y" for the mix. Also, the snare was replaced with samples taken of the recorded snare because of an INSANE amount of hihat bleed (might as well have been another hihat track). It was also stacked with a sample mixed in about 60%.

All toms are real and all the room mics are real. No fake rooms here. Toms were cleaned up by hand for bleed (tails flown in from samples taken of the recorded set), but that's about it. There is some artificial verb on the snare, but for more of that "KAAAHHH" sound, than trying to compensate for rooms.

So here ya go, very roomy modern rock/alt metal drums:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3463841/WORK SAMPLES/JORDON DRUM MIX 1.wav
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3463841/WORK SAMPLES/JORDON DRUM MIX 2.wav

Very fine work, indeed... Don't know how will it sit a mix, though... My only suspicion is that the kick might get a bit buried... But you'll know when you try it. But I'm liking it very much!

Thanks!

Trust me, the kick is FAR from buried in the mix. In fact, I may bring the kick down overall in each mix. This is a pretty dense band, as well. A lot of low-tuned guitars, layers of vocals and many synths and keys. This kit just doesn't get lost. I really wish I could post a full mix right now!

I just solo'd the drums in each mix and bounced them out. These are from songs that are about 80% on their way to a final.

Those toms sound amazing. Great job. I think the kick needs a LITTLE more top end but it sounds great. What kinda room mics are those? They are really present. I likey :)

Those toms sound amazing. Great job. I think the kick needs a LITTLE more top end but it sounds great. What kinda room mics are those? They are really present. I likey :)

AKG C24 for the far room and a pair of TLM170's for the close mics.