Ragnarokkr Metal Apocalypse 2014

I missed last year's event, but the difference between the 2012 and 2014 event was huge in terms of organization, presentation, caliber of bands, etc. It's really good to see the event improving so dramatically.

Plus it's just really cool to know an event headlined by Riot and Grim Reaper can bring in 400+ people.

Yeah...Jason said that those two bands would never draw that many.

Justin...it is funny. We were talking about that 2012 year on Wednesday night. Just how sloppy it was. More tech problems and problems with the club made it a band night all around. Mike actually pulled the plug on the fest for a few weeks right after it. The caliber of bands has been getting better with each year. Even after this year Mike was like...crap, how do we top this one now??

The fest for the most part ruled. :headbang: The quality of performances keeps going up. The sound on the main stage is better than any fests I have been to in quite a while. And the headliners of Riot and Grim Reaper topped any fests I have been to in... well years now and that includes US and overseas.

You know between Ragnarokkr and Progpower I believe the U.S can certainly start giving the overseas fests a run.

The fest for the most part ruled. :headbang: The quality of performances keeps going up. The sound on the main stage is better than any fests I have been to in quite a while. And the headliners of Riot and Grim Reaper topped any fests I have been to in... well years now and that includes US and overseas.

You know between Ragnarokkr and Progpower I believe the U.S can certainly start giving the overseas fests a run.

exactly....I have heard from so many people saying how this fest should blow others out of the water....I don't want that. I want to see every fest get bigger and stronger. Why would you want less shows? I mean between ProgPower, Maryland Death Fest, Ragnarokkr, Warriors of Metal and now Throwback fest along with all the other more mainstream ones...why would you want one to destroy the others??? The more the better.

exactly....I have heard from so many people saying how this fest should blow others out of the water....I don't want that. I want to see every fest get bigger and stronger. Why would you want less shows? I mean between ProgPower, Maryland Death Fest, Ragnarokkr, Warriors of Metal and now Throwback fest along with all the other more mainstream ones...why would you want one to destroy the others??? The more the better.

Don't forget Rock Harvest!

Oh, right.

Great show, and like Justin said it's good to see the fest improving so much. What's amazing is that they've been able to do it without much promotion.

Yup, amazing festival that gets better every year. Was great to meet Justin and everyone in the Chicago crew (who actually seem like really nice people in person).

Riot of course was the highlight of Day 1, but also Picture and Night Demon, and I also discovered some new bands like Axxion and Lady Beast.

Highlights of Day 2 were Visigoth, Eternal Champion (easily the best band on second stage), Voltax and of course Grim Reaper.

Honestly there was barely any band that I didn't enjoy either day.

Correction Bob - I said that RIOT alone or Grim Reaper alone wouldn't sell it out.

I stand firm that for any fest it's all about the package.

I seriously don't believe that you yourself believe it sold out ONLY because of RIOT and Grim Reaper????

ANyhow, that's not what's important. It was a great successs and everyone had a great time. I have no doubt that it can and will happen again given all the positive responses from all that attended.

Correction Bob - I said that RIOT alone or Grim Reaper alone wouldn't sell it out.

I seriously don't believe that you yourself believe it sold out ONLY because of RIOT and Grim Reaper????

ANyhow, that's not what's important. It was a great successs and everyone had a great time. I have no doubt that it can and will happen again given all the positive responses from all that attended.

I bought my ticket based on the headliners (and Picture), and not knowing much about the rest of the lineup at all. Riot and Grim Reaper were the main factor for me.

yep...it was the headliners that sold it out. If either band played reggies they would have sold it out on their own. Did you notice how crowded it was for them?? The other bands were just icing on the cake for people. This is why next year again there will be two bigger name headliners and stuff like this year below them.

If RIOT (I refuse to call them Riot V) comes to your area GO SEE THEM.

Holy crap that destroyed this past weekend in Chicago.

Glenn should seriously consider them for PPUSA in the future. Set consisted mostly of Thundersteel and tPoP albums with a nice dusting of other material from the catalog. they were rock solid and new vocalist is incredible.

played for over 90 minutes too.

If RIOT (I refuse to call them Riot V) comes to your area GO SEE THEM.

Holy crap that destroyed this past weekend in Chicago.

Glenn should seriously consider them for PPUSA in the future. Set consisted mostly of Thundersteel and tPoP albums with a nice dusting of other material from the catalog. they were rock solid and new vocalist is incredible.

played for over 90 minutes too.

They're a legendary band, and even with the loss of so many members they are amazing live. I'd say they are absolutely worthy of PPUSA.

If you're a fan of traditional metal at all, this fest is a don't miss. It's good to see this kind of metal doing well in the states and it's only going to get better.

I think Riot should have already been considered for PPUSA if not already on one of the past years. But it is done now, someone did it and it RULED!:headbang:
Yes they would and would have always worked well in Atlanta, but now I gotta say I'd rather see something different. I'd like to see PPUSA like in the early years when it was all bands I would not be seeing anywhere else.

On topic of the Bob and Jason argument; I don't think either band would have sold out on their own. The crowd I don't think was anything to go on. Sure everyone was into it because everyone knows Grim Reaper, question is would they have travelled solely for Grim Reaper or Riot? I don't see it happening, but I guess there is really no way to know.