Rain Recording Solstice desktop ...

Skinny Viking

¯\(°_o)/¯ How do Lydian?
Oct 10, 2007
Philly
www.facebook.com
Hey all

Ok so I'm pretty much ready for a pc upgrade and I've been looking at some of these. Couple questions, 1st being does anyone here have one or another of their product line? I did a search but couldn't find anything on here although I'm under the impression that maybe Marcus had said he has one? Looking for some insight into whether they're as badass as they seem. Also I see that for the Solstice they offer an option of a quad core for around $1699 or a slightly cheaper triple core for only $1499. I figure if anyone can offer info about if the triple core is more than enough I could use the extra money saved for a new monitor. They offer several choices of monitors to go with the pcs but they do overcharge a bit for them. I can get the same monitor from Newegg or a couple other places for about $200 cheaper. Anyway, thats about it, just looking for some opinions on these things if anyone is familiar with them before I go dropping a big nut like this. Thanks in advance

Cheers!

Hey Carlos,

I gotta say, I really love my Livebook - I've had it for a year now with no problems so far, and it absolutely screams; the biggest selling points of it over other lappy's IMO is that it comes with a super-streamlined OS (XP or Vista) with all the useless shit removed/disabled, as well as the home edition of Acronis Disk Image (GREATEST REFORMATTING TOOL ON EARTH), and as far as I can tell they put their money where their mouths are with their little treatise on focusing on throughput rather than output by choosing complementary components to prevent bottlenecking! (cuz I really haven't dealt with any) Also, it is so goddamn quiet it's unbelievable; honestly, I have never heard a laptop so inaudible as this in my life, only when the CD drive is spinning or the processor/HDD is being RAPED does any sort of perceptible sound come out.

I'd imagine their desktops are up to the same standards as their laptops, and they have fantastic customer support too (with a 3-year warranty), so yeah, highly recommended!

Awesome, thanks for the info Marcus! I was pretty sold on the thing after reading a few reviews about the products and the company itself just wasn't sure if its a dumb thing to go with a triple core instead of the quad. If their stuff is as monstrous as you say, I guess I'd still be loving it with only the triple core and the extra $200 saved could go right to a new widescreen monitor. I'm coming off a pc with only a regular P4 processor and a gig of ram so if I've managed to get by with that something like the Solstice should be quite boner inducing.

@Adam ... I'm gonna take a look at the ADK and really do some comparitive research on the two, thanks for the tip. I have to say right now I'd probably be more likely to go with the Solstice just because knowing someone on here has one of their products and loves it goes a long way for me but I might find something else that blows my hair back and the more options the better.

Thanks again guys, really appreciate it!

Cheers!
-Los

Going to second the ADK rec (Sorry marcus :saint: im anything if consistent in these threads) have my adk laptop for nearly a year now and its rock solid been using it live without a glitch also same goes for recording also they are very friendly bunch over there and helped me out with my custom build and talked me through all my requirements. I love the way it comes ready to go with all the xp tweaks already taken care of and get this they even ask you about your current interface and software set up and install all the required drivers and software for you for example i have a saffire pro 26 so they pre-installed all the drivers and software needed for this interface and i bought cubase 4 off them as part of the package and they installed it for me also (not that its a big deal to install that shit its just nice that they do it for you) any ways i highly recommend them and i for one will be buying my next desktop and laptop off them for sure.

I almost wish I had bought my desktop from them instead of the parts I bought to build my own, didn't even consider it until today... Would've been like an extra $800 but the machine would've been epic... :/ Now I'm considering returning my parts altogether...