Rammstein-style thick snare reverb: how?

Potapka

New Metal Member
Sep 18, 2009
Belarus, Minsk
Hi, ppl
I'm trying to find a proper drum sound for my industrial metal project, and i guess the snare sound I dig lies somewhere around that of Rammstein (ex: Reise, Reise and Pussy). I've downloaded a GH multitrack of Weidmanns Heil and it seems that Rammstein use tons of compression and reverb (or room mics, maybe?) on their snare tracks. I've also noticed that their reverb adds a great deal of weight and "punch" to the snare track.

I've got Addictive Drums and I'm trying to get as close as possible with its in-built reverbs. I can use some reverb plugins, too. Any general tips on reverb settings (type, predelay, length, decay, etc.)? Right now I'm trying to use Plate with 30 ms predelay and 1.5 s length, but it's not close.
Thanks in advance.

rooms man. or the right combination of compression and really good IR reverb like altiverb or something where you emulate a room.

i've found that copying drum tracks to create a "fake room" with ativerb or ir and eq and compressing it as a room as well as delaying the track themselves a bit helps.

mixing in some slate z4 stereo samples also helps as well.

I've tried SIR with some Lexicon hall impulses. Sounds nice while solo, but imo my snare reverb does not cut through guitars now, it's just getting buried with some snare "clang" at the surface . Is it OK?

I can hear snare reverb in Reise reise while guitars are playing.

To be Fair, one of the reasons that the snare can have that much reverb is the tempo of the music, anything quickerand you just get a mush!

I've tried SIR with some Lexicon hall impulses. Sounds nice while solo, but imo my snare reverb does not cut through guitars now, it's just getting buried with some snare "clang" at the surface . Is it OK?

I can hear snare reverb in Reise reise while guitars are playing.

Try parallel compressing the snare - make a snare bus, send the verb to a send-return loop, rout them both back to the snare bus, compress them differently.

Sounds like room mics are a definite part of that snare tone.

Try blending 2 types of verb. One short room type verb - a perfect one would be found in the Acousticas Bricasti M7 impulse library. There is a stone room, wooden room etc. These are great for early reflections to 'enlarge' the snare.

The 2nd verb you want is a large room or a hall - that's to add sustain to the snare. If this isn't colourful enough, try a dense plate instead.

If you listen to Dalai Lama, during the clean verses, you can clearly hear room sustain on the bass drum. That means natural rooms are a significant part of that drum tone.

Reactions: TimTheEnchanter
funny, I was just trying to emulate the reise, reise snare/verb sound the other day. I had some luck bussing my snare track to a really big verb but throwing an EQ in between with a HUGE mid-scoop, even boosting the highs and lows to make it even more drastic. Essentially this EQ'ed out most of the snare's body, so what was left for the reverb is this really "splatty" sounding snare. It had a cool effect, leaving a lot of separation between the dry and wet snare sound. giving the reverb a very splatty sounding snare, while leaving the actual snare sounding relatively dry.....they had some nice ring going on with the snare they used for that album. just the right amount of ring to it.

Haven't heard the song/album you are talking about, but I find that using a room impulse sounds oh so much better than just sticking a bunch of reverb everywhere on drums (most of the time atleast)