Ran Guitars?

Impervious

Dec 1, 2006
I just sold some gear, and I have about 2600$. So I'm looking into buying a new guitar. I've seen Vogg from Decapitated, Peter from Vader, and Max from Krisiun using Ran guitars. They look VERY nice, and on their website, the craftsmanship looks really nice. I read some reviews on harmony central, and practically everything was straight 10s. I got a quote for a RR shaped V with 24 frets, neckthru, mahogony body, and maple neck for 1800$. It sounds like a damn good deal, so I'm slightly considering it. Only thing is, I don't know how they play, and I never will be able to play one to see how it plays. I know every single guitar is different regardless of them being the same model/year/brand/etc. I've tried pretty much every brand guitar, and I hate just about every new model there is. So I'm stuck to buying used guitars, or a custom guitar. Soo, that was an unessicarily long post, but has anyone played a Ran Guitar? Or does anyone have an y suggestions? I'm looking for a guitar with 24 frets, neckthru, with a floyd rose/schaller, ebony fretboard, and hxh pickup configuration. Oh, and I own pretty much all 90s Japanese Jacksons. Thanks for any help...

I tried one once but then I Ran away from it. haha, get it? Sorry. No, I'm just kidding. One of my friends has a custom built one and it looks amazing. It wasn't my favorite guitar playingwise though. To be honest they kind of reminded me of a PRS - average guitar with an above average price sticker. Don't let me scare you though there is nothing wrong with the guitar that I played, it just wasn't my favorite. I like Strats and terrible things like that though so don't take it too seriously. I think you could spend the money better else where - maybe a Schecter or something. Just my opinion though. It is always nice to have a custom built guitar just for you though. :headbang:

There are plenty of other small luthiers your side of the point that'd make you a guitar for that money, do some research and you might be pleasantly surprised :)

Right on. Thanks everyone. I'll probably end up finding something on ebay. I always end up buying a guitar when I'm not looking for one, rather than when I'm looking for one. So, I guess I'll put my money in the bank, and save it until something killer comes my way.

Ok, now what planet are you on here man? I'm sure almost everyone on this forum will agree that PRS make really fucking nice guitars.

Meh, they're nice, but you pay like double what you should, for the brand name. I don't see why anyone would ever pay more than like £2000 for an off the shelf guitar.

I know they build quality guitars, but why would you want a prs for metal when you can buy a schecter, esp etc that looks cooler and (in my opinion) sound better for metal.
I just find them boring as hell;)

PRS and Gibson are the most overpriced guitars on the market. All their guitars are made on CNC machines, so why are we paying handcrafted prices on CNC machined guitars? Its so dumb, and I own a Gibson LP, haha.