High end guitars

Of those you mentioned : Caparison

but I would wait a sec and look out for the Suhr pro series Modern if I were you.

And if you want to go the ESP, Ibanez or Jackson way: don't buy new!!!

ESP's: look out for early nineties japanese custom shops
Ibanez : early nineties as far as RG's go. They kick way more ass than the Jems from now
Jackson : Late nineties was a great period for jackson usa's

or go Mayones : http://www.mayones.com

Suhrs are definitely anything but cheap to be 100% honest. Great guitars and their "production line" models are great for the money.

Personally I vote for Caparison. While I didn't like the tone of the walnut body, the fretwork and construction was second to none. While maybe not a gigantic noticable different over a Japanese ESP or Jackson, definitely a noticable difference over every Ibanez I've owned, except my old '87 RG550. That thing was pure butter on the fretwork!

Try a Caparison out! Afterall, it's your money. If you don't mind spending it then go with what you bond with the best!

-Joe

ESP- I don't really like any of their stock models and the custom shop ESP's cost about twice as much as all the other guitars I've mentioned!!!

can someone please tell me what's wrong with Ibanez? I've liked all the JEMs I've played

Suhr... they look pretty... pretty ugly!!!! and no one around here really sells them

USA Jacksons- I like the old ones but I would have to play them first which would be a pain

Caparison- I haven't read one bad thing about one yet!!! Apart from them having a lack of retailers.

ESP- I don't really like any of their stock models and the custom shop ESP's cost about twice as much as all the other guitars I've mentioned!!!

can someone please tell me what's wrong with Ibanez? I've liked all the JEMs I've played

Suhr... they look pretty... pretty ugly!!!! and no one around here really sells them

USA Jacksons- I like the old ones but I would have to play them first which would be a pain

Caparison- I haven't read one bad thing about one yet!!! Apart from them having a lack of retailers.

There's nothing "wrong" with them. Guitars are all personal opinion. If you dig an Ibanez, get one! Go by playability, feel, tone, and general preference.

To say "Ibanez sucks..." without further explanation is a bit useless to me. I said that Caparison build quality was better in my experience over Ibanez, BUT I've still owned some very nice Ibanez guitars.

My favorite Ibanez (playability wise) was the RGA121, but I owned two and they sounded thin to me...regardless of the pickups. In fairness I did not play them with EMGs. Also, the bridge really bugged me on it. I needed to position my hand in an uncomfortable position further back to achieve the palm mutes I wanted.

I wish Ibanez made more mahogany guitars. I actually had an RG321 that sounded pretty nice with EMGs.

In my *opinion*, if you want to spend $2k on a guitar, look elsewhere.

I'm all for spending on gear that actually works for me without headaches. If you have the $2k to spend, go for it. No need to limit yourself (within reason) for something that you "kind of like..." Go with what suits you best. Our opinions can only supplement your initial feelings towards the guitar of your choice before you play it.

Play as many as you can and decide accordingly.

-Joe

There's nothing "wrong" with them. Guitars are all personal opinion. If you dig an Ibanez, get one! Go by playability, feel, tone, and general preference.

To say "Ibanez sucks..." without further explanation is a bit useless to me. I said that Caparison build quality was better in my experience over Ibanez, BUT I've still owned some very nice Ibanez guitars.

My favorite Ibanez (playability wise) was the RGA121, but I owned two and they sounded thin to me...regardless of the pickups. In fairness I did not play them with EMGs. Also, the bridge really bugged me on it. I needed to position my hand in an uncomfortable position further back to achieve the palm mutes I wanted.

I wish Ibanez made more mahogany guitars. I actually had an RG321 that sounded pretty nice with EMGs.

In my *opinion*, if you want to spend $2k on a guitar, look elsewhere.

I'm all for spending on gear that actually works for me without headaches. If you have the $2k to spend, go for it. No need to limit yourself (within reason) for something that you "kind of like..." Go with what suits you best. Our opinions can only supplement your initial feelings towards the guitar of your choice before you play it.

Play as many as you can and decide accordingly.

-Joe

Thanks... The only reason why I ask is just in case people have "horror stories" dealing with crappy quality gear that dies after a year or two. But yeah I will look into as many different models as I possibly can.

Thanks... The only reason why I ask is just in case people have "horror stories" dealing with crappy quality gear that dies after a year or two. But yeah I will look into as many different models as I possibly can.

Well, you will probably find that with a lot of companies. I think it's better to be insightful regarding our gear than to just say it "sucks..."

The bridge and the thin tone of the RGA121 bothered me. But, my cheap as hell RG321 sounded really good. Go figure!

My '87 RG550 played AWESOME, but the basswood just didn't do it for me.

I will say this though...the original Edge trem on my RG550 stayed in tune better than any Floyd I have ever owned. I could beat the crap out of it and be in tune. Awesome tremolo.

I would check out the Caparison Dellingers if I were you.

-Joe

FWIW, my RGA321 (same as the RGA121, just with a flamed maple top rather than standard) sounds ridiculously fat and full - go figure!

But wouldn't you rather spend ALL THAT MONEY on something that would actually affect the sound? (preamps, converters, another amp, another cab, etc.)

But wouldn't you rather spend ALL THAT MONEY on something that would actually affect the sound? (preamps, converters, another amp, another cab, etc.)

Some people simply enjoy playing the guitar. :)

Generally, the more expensive the guitar, the more pleasing it is to play.

Like most things in life you get what you pay for, though the law of diminishing returns usually rears it's ugly head. o_O

Me? If so then yeah I would hence buying my new interface, but even if I did get a Caparison in future id still 1 or 2 guitars for it for 1) Funding it 2) Making it worthwhile instead of having loads of guitars for one you will keep for a damn long time and that *providing you don't disrespect it* will still hold its value futher down the line.

I do want a Mesa OS 4x12 too! Id much prefer that than another guitar atm though :) It would also affect the sound MUCH more :worship:)

Some people simply enjoy playing the guitar. :)

Generally, the more expensive the guitar, the more pleasing it is to play.

I dunno about that - my criteria for a guitar that's pleasing to play are pretty basic and simple, I can get used to almost anything! (except a really low bridge or really fat neck ;))

If you want to spend a shitload on a guitar, I'd recommend you get a decent production guitar for around the $1k price bracket with the woods and specs you want, then drop it off at a good local tech. Get him to totally set it up, re-do all the frets, and swap in some really good pickups like Bareknuckles or the like. Especially if you want a Caparison.. those things are far too much money. Why not get an Edwards Kiko Loureiro sig if you want to do the 27 fret thing? There was one on eBay for $1100.

Spending a thousand bucks on a guitar that needs a fret-job and pickup change? No fuckin' way...

I personally think the pickups on Caparisons are one of their very strong pros. You don't find high quality non-aftermarket pickups in many guitars out there... I could only imagine changing the pups of my Dellinger if I was an actives fanatic, which I'm not.

If someone gave me a set of Bareknuckles for free, would I put them in my Capi? Hell no! I'd rather sell them...

There's also the option of getting a Warmoth custom-made and put together by a competent local tech.