Randall T2

Metaltastic

Feb 20, 2005
So I saw Insomnium/Katatonia/Scar Symmetry/Swallow the Sun on Saturday night at "The Chance," my local venue in Poughkeepsie, NY - and was amazed to see that every band used the exact same gear: same drumset (though different cymbals), same bass amp, and the same two Randall T2 full stacks (but of course different pedals in the FX loop and in the case of Katatonia a boss GT-3 each).

I gotta say, though, the amp distortion on those puppies sounded pretty killer; a great middy-chunk, and cut through fantastically (and I took notice of both the direct sound and the sound through the PA during sound check).

So what do you guys think of these amps?

T2's are touted as the simpler versions of the V2...The V2 sounds pretty good to my ears, but in looking at specs, it seems like the V2 has more tubes and obviously more channels and EQ options than the T2...Makes me wonder just how much is different from the two amps, and which one sounds better. I've never even seen a T2, so I can only comment on the coolness of the V2.

It does, actually - an entirely-tube preamp and a solid-state power amp "driven" by a 12AT7 (don't quite know how a power amp can be driven by a tube, unless they mean the phase inverter...).