Random song I'm digging

Fire breath

Feb 20, 2002
London
piris-metalopolis.blogspot.com
This song is just blowing me away. It's an old song from Michael Sembello - he of Maniac fame - and is culled from an odds and sods early years album of his. Disappointingly enough it is the only song of it's ilk on the whole album but this song is just perfection to my ears. Sounds like a perfect mix of Toto and Foreigner. Michael's vocals on this song are truly amazing. The way he sings the more edgy "love" is just perfect and the song is just perfectly played and produced. Knowing that I adore this song can you post a song that you think I might like based on this song? It doesn't matter if I know it as I might have not heard it in an age.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nelson is alright but they don't suck enough you see. I need more suction than those blonde mamma's boys can deliver. I found another one that sucks more in the style that I need. This one is pure westcoast aor pop with a smooth fast paced rhythm and killer soulful vocals. If you can find something else on this level of suckworthiness and wimpiness then please post it. Oh and metalheads leave the hall!

Here's 13 for you ... more in the melodic hard rock vein, but somewhat like what's been posted above. It's clips, but might give you an idea of what to further explore.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gR_6q9aZMYo&feature=fvw[/ame]

Thanks for the medley. I know all those bands and love many of them already as I'm not a newcomer to this style, I don't know if I gave that impression. I wasn't actually looking for a general tip but more a random killer song from a really underground act that I might not exactly listen to every day. Like the three that I posted myself basically. Also I am not really looking for heavy melodic rock. I am looking for breezy, sharply produced AOR with clean guitars, fluffy wimpy keys and soulful high vocals. Actually stuff like Signal and Alias from that medley rather than the heavy rocking shit.

Why didn't you just spell it out to begin with ... your first post doesn't say anything about that stuff, and even encourages people to post stuff that you might aleady be familiar with.

Tip: Check the other videos that pop up along side some of the stuff you already posted. I saw several bands that were under the radar type AOR.

Britt

Freaking Zeno bro! Michael Flexig is a GOD among vocalists, along with Zeno Roth (younger brother of Uli Jon Roth) being one of my all time favorite guitarists.

Cheesy love song
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPDko1d7esU&feature=related[/ame]

And cheesy love-based sing along

And another awesome one!
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj_Nbg3FtnU&feature=related[/ame]

Thanks for the Zeno post Metal Messiah. That is some classy stuff indeed. I have their albums although I hadn't played them in an age. These songs are cool and his vocals are brilliant as you said. Very high and crystal clear. However I would say they were still quite a "heavy" band and I'm looking for something a touch lighter, more breezy but still a little bit edgy.

Britt - yeah of course I check out the other songs on YT that are recommended next to the ones I posted. I find good ones like that all the time. I love obscure old AOR and YT is awash with unknown old bands. I found a great band last night called Device. They were a hi-tech AOR new wavy sounding band with danceable 80s beats but still with tasty guitars. Their two videos are cool and cheesy as all hell can be! I mean only in the 80s can your lead singer get away with wearing crotchless leather chaps over his jeans. This band Device had great tunes though. That lady on the keytar is beautiful too, my 80s self would have been in love! :)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjfZwgWI0c8&feature=related[/ame]

How about some Fair Warning? Still a little edgy, and in the same vein as Zeno, but I absolutely love this tune.

Great song but I don't like ballads or power ballads too much plus I prefer a cleaner higher voice without grit or any roughness. I like Fair Warning by the way. Take this next song which I absolutely adore. It actually doesn't really have the edge that I was talking about at all but it's just perfection in my eyes anyway. By the way this guy Clif Magness has gone on to be a big hot shot songwriter for some well know singers. I believe Kelly Clarkson or someone of that ilk. He should have stuck to it himself but I guess he's making a whole heap of money more just writing. I love this whole solo album by the way and it's his only one.

If you are into the AOR stuff, maybe some old Zebra.... good stuff. The new version of Journey is good. The current singer, Arnel Pineda doesn't quite have that "golden throat" that Steve Perry did, but he isn't far off and I would put this guy as being a truly super elite frontman. The Goo Goo Dolls really went heavy into pop-land after their early punk days, but they really wrote fantastic, emotic stuff until their last couple of releases.

Bryant

Thanks for those KYF they are very much what I was looking for. Been a fan of Steve Overland's for a decade now although I never knew about FM the first time around. The first song is exactly what I'm looking for! I actually love Overland's solo disks and his recent projects like The Ladder even more than FM. Anyway Steve Overland's amazingly soulful is pretty close to Michael's like you said and he's probably even better. I don't think I've even got the Aphrodisiac album even in mp3 so I might need to download it or buy it cheap off ebay or something. i have Tough it out which is awesome.

Here's another dude who is very similar. I give you Mr. Bolton people! His voice is close to Overland's and Sembello's pretty much. Love this tune badly!

I believe I know the album with Tony Martin, Bryant. The song sounds very cool indeed with Tony's great vocals although it's probably melodic shreddy metal/rock rather than AOR or the lighter end which is what I was looking for.

Hmmm..... you are a tough egg to crack.......

How about Tommy Shaw solo. Tommy makes us Alabamians proud.

Christian rock ?

Prog metal ?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-I7rJgrUFAE&feature=related[/ame]

Bryant