Randy Rhoads Remembered Special Guest Vocalist Neil Turbin

M1

Threatcon Delta Force
Feb 12, 2002
New York
Visit site
1497616_439480336175439_603045152_n.jpg

"I met Randy Rhoads with Ozzy Osbourne August 14, 1981 at Nassau Coliseum in NY. Def Leppard was opening. My girlfriend worked for Leber-Krebs who was Def Leppard's management. I was in their dressing room with my GF before Def Leppard arrived. DL got settled in the room said hello straight away. They were all cool, friendly and humble guys. The next thing I noticed was these off the chart super hot girls that the band brought with them. It looked like half of 12 months of the Playboy calendar showing up in the room. As we were hanging out, in walked Ozzy and Randy introducing themselves to everyone. I was blown away that just happened. How does a kid from Queens get the chance to meet the amazing Randy Rhoads and Ozzy too! It was an incredible evening and experience which I remember well.

I brought my cassette tape recorder and remember Def Leppard were good that night. Then came Blizzard of Ozz with Randy Rhoads. When Randy hit the stage with Ozzy it was a sight to behold. He had this incredible stage presence and great unique heavy metal style. As they started to play their first song, "I Don't Know," the crowd went apeshit. When Randy played the pinch harmonics and they bounced off the roof of the Nassau Coliseum it sounded like Zeus came down from the heavens with lightning and thunder. Then Randy played these super shredding speedy licks within the nuances of the song. It was like he was shooting lightning bolts from his guitar. His guitar tone and playing on his signature 1974 Gibson Les Paul was so on fucking fire. Randy blew everyones doors off and the band was tight as fuck and killed it hard. Ozzy was at his peak. I will never forget it. It made a huge impression and impact on how I approached music and singing. It was one of the coolest moments I can ever remember. A total game changer. Good thing I still have the cassette tape of it. I was compelled to buy one of the Randy Rhoads signature Les Pauls 1974 Reissue VOS. Randy's tone and pinch harmonics were some of the best things I've ever heard come from a guitar ever. That was some serious next level Holy Shit.

I am extremely honored and super stoked to be part of the Randy Rhoads Remembered Event that honors the late great pioneer of shred guitar Randy Rhoads.

~ Neil Turbin (DEATHRIDERS, Anthrax)

Regarding the brand new celebration, Randy Rhoads Remembered, Tichy also went on to say, “When the opportunity arose to have the venue a 2nd night, I catered to the guitarist in me and went for a brand new show as my partner, Joe Sutton, and myself had talked of this while brainstorming ideas over the years. We decided to take the Bonzo Bash template and celebrate the music and wizardry of one of rock’s truly legendary guitar heroes; Randy Rhoads! Having grown up at a time when Randy took over the guitar world, he impacted me deeply. It seemed that a show in the Bonzo Bash mold would be perfect to celebrate all things Randy Rhoads!
With that said, in addition to the superb list of guitarists, I am psyched to announce some more of the world’s most brilliant players to RRR!!!; Marty Friedman, Gus G. (Ozzy Osbourne / Firewind,) Mats Leven (vox- Candlemass / Yngwie Malmsteen,) Mitch Perry(Lita Ford / Edgar Winter,) former Randy Rhoads’ student Janet Robin (Precious Metal / Lindsey Buckingham / Air Supply,) Phil X (The Drills / Bon Jovi.) We have not yet begun to rock! We are not yet finished with these lineups! Plus, anything can change up to day of show... and usually does!!
I must also give a big thanks to photographer Jay Banbury! He has taken some of the most iconic
live photos of Randy Rhoads. Jay has graciously allowed us to use one for our concert poster and t-shirt! Go to Jay’s website and order up some killer Randy posters now! (www.139creative.com)
I can’t forget to also mention that our bud Phil Soussan (Ozzy Osbourne / Billy Idol / Big Noize) has become an additional member of the RRR house band, “The Madmen.” Rudy Sarzo is on tour with Queensrcyhe up to rehearsal day, so Phil is helping out on a nice chunk of tunes!
We also have to tell everyone to go visit the ultimate Randy Rhoads Facebook page,“Randy Rhoads Society” (www.Facebook.com/RandyRhoadsSociety) These guys are hardcore!"

CONFIRMED GUITARISTS:
Nuno Bettencourt (Extreme)
Phil Demmel (Machine Head)
Gus G. (Ozzy Osbourne / Firewind)
Brad Gillis (Night Ranger)
Tracii Guns
Marty Friedman
Kiko Loureiro (Angra)
Mitch Perry (Lita Ford / Edgar Winter)
Rowan Robertson (Dio / DC4)
Janet Robin (Precious Metal / Lindsey Buckingham / Air Supply)
Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal (Guns N' Roses)
Brent Woods (The Moby Dicks / Vince Neil)
Phil X (The Drills / Bon Jovi)
And many more to come!!

VERY SPECIAL GUESTS:
Kelle Rhoads (vox)
Neil Turbin (DeathRiders/ Anthrax) vocals

THE MADMEN:
Stephen LeBlanc (Jason Bonham's Led Zep Exp. / The Moby Dicks) keys
Robert Mason (Warrant / Lynch Mob / Ozzy Osbourne) vox
Rudy Sarzo (Ozzy Osbourne / Quiet Riot / Whitesnake) bass
Phil Soussan (Ozzy Osbourne / Big Noize / Billy Idol) bass
Brian Tichy (S.U.N. / Whitesnake / Foreigner / Ozzy Osbourne) drums

GUITARIST QUOTES:

"Watching Randy at 10am in the Oakland coliseum was my 1st concert experience and it was life changing. It made me want to not only play guitar, but to perform with passion and emotion. I'm beyond honored to be part of this celebration of a true legend and an immense inspiration."
~ Phil Demmel (Machine Head)

"As a kid I was a huge Sabbath fan, and was curious to see Ozzy`s solo band. I was lucky to see them on their first US tour at the Baltimore Civic Center. I had no idea who anyone in the band was. I couldn`t take my eyes off the charisma, excitement and overall coolness of the guitarist, Randy. He completely stole the show. I was just becoming a decent player myself back then, so seeing him really made me up my game. -- At that time, Ozzy wasn`t the mainstream personality he is now, there was a shroud of darkness and even desperation around him and his departure from Sabbath at a time when Sabbath had all but fallen out of vogue. Randy was a beacon of light, literally lighting up the stage with his flashy guitar work and upbeat performance. I am convinced that he is a huge part of Ozzy`s longterm success. Tragically we lost him way too early. It`s nice to see that so many years later people have not forgotten the joy he brought to music, so it`s absolutely my pleasure to honor him by participating in Randy Rhoads Remembered concert."
~ Marty Friedman

"Everybody knows that Randy Rhoads has been an inspiration to all generations of guitar players after him. But to me Randy was not only inspirational for his playing and writing skills, but for his attitude as well. I loved how low profile and humble of a person he was, always learning and moving forward. He was a servant of Music and that inspired me (and many others) on a whole different level. I'm truly honored to participate in RRR and celebrate Randy Rhoads' life and music alongside these great musicians!"
~ Gus G. (Ozzy Osbourne / Firewind)

"Randy entered my soul like a lightning bolt and has remained there throughout my life.
He was like a magician but it was all real."
~ Tracii Guns
I absolutely wore out my cassettes of Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman when I was starting out. Randy was one of my earliest influences. Those influences are special to me because it's before I'd acquired enough musical skill to hear things differently than a non-player/musician. He was a part of music that was/is full of "magic" and for that reason Randy is one of those players who will ALWAYS remain special in my heart. Also, as the son of two classical musicians, I admire his musical versatility and open-mindedness that obviously had a great effect on young rockers. I'm totally honored to be a part of this amazing event!"

~ Joel Hoekstra (Night Ranger / Rock of Ages / Trans Siberian Orchestra)

"Randy is one of the most amazing virtuosos of all times. His unique, personal style and his fearless melodic approach caught my attention when I was discovering the electric guitar. I have spent many days in my teenager times trying to figure out how to play his awesome solos and riffs. I am excited and honored to be invited to join the incredible line-up of guitar players on “Randy Rhoads Remembered.” Each of us getting up on stage to pay tribute to a great guitar player that is a source of inspiration to generations of musicians."
~ Kiko Loureiro (Angra)

"I am totally honored to be a part of "Randy Rhoads Remembered". Randy was a great musician whose talents influenced a generation of guitarists as we will see by the stellar lineup of players I will be joining on January 25th. Knowing everyone involved with this show (and previously working with Brian Tichy and Joe Sutton on "The Bonzo Bash") I know this is going to be a night we will all be proud to have been a part of..."
~ Mitch Perry (Lita Ford / Edgar Winter)

Throughout the history guitar playing, there have been the undisputed masters of different genres. When it comes to the the nineteen eighties sound of hard rock guitar, in my mind, the two colossi have to be Eddie Van Halen and Randy Rhoads. They did it better than the rest. Everyone has their corner and their mark of brilliance, but have to be, in my mind, relegated to 'best of the rest.' What I do, and so many others like me do, Randy wrote the book on, and showed us the way.
~ Rowan Robertson (Dio/ DC4)

"Randy's approach to fusing classical music with heavy metal was so unique. I studied his playing like mad. Even his gear – I was reading all the magazines to see what he used, and I bought my first Marshall amp because that's what he played through. Randy was definitely an early guitar hero of mine. He was unlike anybody around at the time. He played with such fire, grace and intelligence. Randy Rhoads' playing still stuns me."
~ Ron "Bumblefoot" Thal (Guns N' Roses)

"I am so psyched to get this show together! Randy's playing, and the music on those 2 Ozzy records were huge to me! I am a drummer but I also started putting a lot of time into guitar at the same time Randy came out. I heard Ozzy being interviewed on the radio when Blizzard Of Ozz was released. They played "I Don't Know" and when the guitar kicked in I was floored and I was an instant fan! I spent countless hours trying to learn Randy's songs, riffs and solos while I was also just a beginner on guitar. I tried to learn Randy's live solo note for note! I had Randy's posters on my basement walls! I still have those posters framed in my house right now! Brent Woods and I even shared a bottle of Randy Rhoads wine when it first came out!”
~ Brian TIchy (S.U.N.)

“31 years after the tragic death of my mentor and favorite guitar player, it's time for a proper celebration of Randy's legacy. Being involved with the Bonzo Bash since day one, I know Randy Rhoads Remembered will be a tribute unlike any other."
~ Brent Woods (The Moby Dicks / Vince Neil)

"After school 1981. Drop the needle. 'Blizzard Of Ozz'. WTF?!?! The guy who took the 6 in the pentatonic scale and made it minor instead of major so that ANYONE who plays it in sequence to this day is reminded of Randy Rhoads.
His heart, his soul, his choice of notes. His FIRE. That kind of inspiration stays with you 'til death. And now... 2014. Randy Rhoads Remembered. A bunch of as-inspired awesome musicians paying homage to this amazing guy who contributed SO MUCH to ROCK guitar. I am so excited to be a part of it. I CAN'T F@CKING WAIT!"

~ Phil X (The Drills / Bon Jovi / “Session Guy" for Rob Zombie / Alice Cooper /
Chris Cornell / Tommy Lee / Halestorm / Avril Lavigne / Daughtry)

RRR Sponsored by: Drumtacs / Dunlop / Eden / Gibson / Gorilla Snot / Guitar Center / Intex Cables / Latin Percussion / Paiste / Regal Tip / Remo /
Media Partner: Rock N Roll Industries Magazine

Ozzy with Randy Rhoads, that's awesome dude, if it was 1981 then wasn't the BadAss Bob Daisley the Bassist with Ozzy an Randy then? Bob Daisley wrote a lot of the songs and lyrics to Blizzard and Diary.
Rudy Sarzo only came I'm when Ozzy's bitch wife Sharon fired Bob Daisley and drummer Lee Kerkslate, the original Bassist and drummer with Randy & Ozzy..
I will always be a Bassist that clanks the strings up against the neck. Bass will always be my favorite instrument, but when I listen to Randy Rhoads lead guitar and the way it sounds from Blizzard of Oz and Diary of a Madman, that's the only time I want to play lead guitar, he just sounds so awesome, Randy Rhoads, YOU! ARE THE BEST!!!! Even his last name is cool as ever, RHOADS. You are tremendously missed by millions of people around the world. R.I.P. Randy Rhoads.

Last edited:
Randy was the best heavy rock guitarist ever. His songwriting was sublime, and I have never got tired of listening to the blizzard and diary albums. When he died I was devastated and it hasnt gone away to this day. I was so looking forward to his next album. What happened was just terrible, and I still cant believe it . R.I.P. Randy and thank you.