Rapper LIL WAYNE samples STRATOVARIUS on new song

No he didn't. Jens said in their forum that they weren't on the first song and I don't think he knew of the second until someone mentioned it in their forum. Of course they both have ties to Universal so maybe the label ok'd it w/o the band's knowledge.

Hmm, that would be amazing to me, especially if they are both tied to Universal. This is pretty standard stuff (legally) for this genre. I've seen a payoff made to a band substantially smaller and less well-known than Strato. The labels know that the small payment upfront protects them from substantial payments down the road (or loss of the song altogether, in one case) if the song becomes a hit.

Anything's possible, but I'd call it stunningly stupid for them to not do it.

I just want to point out that there is a HUGE difference between editing drum sounds with samples and other studio trickery like autotuning. One is done to improve the sound of a performance, the rest are done to improve the performances themselves.

The first is a question of budget. Neil Peart has six weeks to set up and get a snare sound that he likes. Most other bands have six hours.

Bands no longer have $250,000 recording budgets and the ability to spend six months in a studio. Getting a kick drum requires many hours of working with multiple mics, mic placement, EQs, compressors, etc. all of which change once other instruments are added, requiring many more hours. Or you can sample / replace and be done in 10 minutes per song.

If anything, this process reflects laziness and inadequacy on the part of the engineer, not the musician. In reality, though, it's not inadequacy -- it's being efficient with the use of time.