rare prog from early 70s

discouraged1

disco my arse!
May 24, 2001
Belgrade, Serbia
www.myspace.com
Any1 into Cressida, Comus, Night Sun (or Mournin' - what's the band's name? I thought it was Mournin' - Night Sun, but I found on some places that the Night Sun is the band's name, and Mournin' the album's. Info?) or 'rocky' Blackwater Park (the singer sounds like pre-Paul D'Anno!), 'Miles/jazzy' Ian Carr or H.P.Lovecraft?

Comus is sth I consider True Avantgarde:Smug: their music is completely mad:ill: considering the 1971:loco:
And Night Sun is like Zep on acid.:hotjump:
Yet all of these bands would be twice better if there wouldn't have been all those organs, hammonds and boring keys.

opinions?

Night Sun - Mournin' and Blackwater Park - Dirt Box are great albums. Both from Germany I believe.

Also check out:

Master's Apprentices - Choice Cuts
Atomic Rooster - Death Walks Behind You
Lucifer's Friend - s/t
Warhorse - s/t
Three Man Army - A Third of A Lifetime

Im listening to Master's APpretnice now, but porbably not the prog one...err.....you guys are listiting like all the bands that Mike has either ripped off or has been influenced by, cool.

Im a 70s prog/psych fanatic myself. I love the bands you mentioned, and i agree with most of the recommendations of the other people on this thread...also great recommendations...Lucifer's friend is highly underrated hard rock with some prog elements...warhorse is essential too.

I do not agree however with your opinion about the "annoying" keys and hammond organs, etc

i think these instruments are absolutely necessary in the genre, and i myself love them, they add to the music perfectly, and also add to the charm of the music and the era. If theyre not for you, then its probably the wrong genre for you to get into.

heres some of my own obscure prog recommendations that im sure some of you would enjoy:

Indian summer - Indian summer
Steamhammer - Mountains
Arzachel - Self titled
Still life - Still Life
Earth And Fire - Self Titled
England - Garden Shed

Check out www.progarchives.com <---really great selection of mp3s from a huge, and in cases obscure bands.
Blackwater Park is not particualrly good, in my opinion, though not bad either by any means.
About the only prog. band(apart from Camel) from Mikael's reccomendations that I like is Permiata Forenria Marconi; has a very similar song structure as that of Opeth.

PFM (premiata forneria marconi) is certainly a solid band with very interesting melodys and textures...and now that i think about it...they could resemble opeth in some cases i guess. Theyre one of the best italian prog bands, even though im not too into the italian stuff, i try to stay within the UK, german and some scandanavian realm, otherwise it gets way out of control. but if you want more good italian stuff i also highly highly recommend "Loconda Delle Fate"... some great melodies and guitar/key interplay. if you want a great UK distributor of old and obscure as well as popular prog titles, look no further than www.freakemporium.com

comprehensive reviews and descriptions of almost every release, as well as wish lists and free items when you order a certain amount. check it out!

^^
Zeuhl: Magma, Shub Niggurath, Boredoms
Prog: Änglagård, Anekdoten, Landberk
Non-prog: The Decemberists, Calexico, Zamfir, Califone, Parikrama, Skyclad, Sika Redem

alright, heres some more of my personal fav prog/psych/hard rock albums from the 70s that most havent heard of outside the genre:

Locomotive (amazing psych/prog with a brass section, very very good!)
Clear blue sky (hard rockin with prog tendencies, 18 year olds playing it)
ginhouse (good mellow prog from the UK similar to cressida/camel)
Hatfield And The North (great canterbury prog...funny and interesting)
Matching Mole (same as above...with more experimentation)
T2 (one of the finest...lots of mellotrons and very emotional)
Blonde on blonde (another solid prog release with amazing melodies)
fuzzy duck (another hard rockin band, much like blackwater park)
Klaatu (psych/prog from canada, some still think its the beatles)
mellow candle (dual female vocal fronted folk/prog...essential!)
Neu (wonderful kraut rock also a favorite of Steven Wilson)
Can (more great kraut rock/prog, even loved by johnny rotten!)
Gracious (a personal fav. Mellotrons, great guitars, and interesting)
Novalis (symphonic prog, like yes or greenslade...sung in german)
Procol Harum (helped invent the genre, UK band of awesome talent)
Renaissance (female fronted vocals, melodic and hypnotic...utter beauty)
Affinity (an edgier female fronted band, original copies sell for $$$)
Spring (the most mellotron soaked album ive ever heard, and great!)
Steamhammer (a proggy/folky deep purplish band from the UK...check it out)
Triumvirat (very accesible german prog sung in english, like nektar)
Nektar (my favorite german prog band. catchy, and melodic with great english sung vox)
Masters Apprentices (psych/prog later on, good melodies and acoustics)
Cirkus (pop/prog with catchy and melodic songs of undeniable effect)

id list more, this thread is speaking my first language :p ...but i would go on for hours. this should suffice for a while.

I started my 70s prog collection a couple months ago I think, it's going pretty well. I started off with some of the more well known bands like Yes, King Crimson, Emerson Lake and Palmer, Jethro Tull, Genesis and got more Rush, got more Pink Floyd. I have Camel's first 4, UK - self titled, Nektar - Remembering the Future, Caravan - In the Land of Grey and Pink...pretty much what I have for now. I will continue to get more and more as my life goes on, for this genre of music is nothing but spectacular.

mmmh, nobody mentioned DARK - ROUND THE EDGES

about prog made in italy, check out www.italianprog.com

some recommendations:
LOCANDA DELLE FATE
BIGLIETTO PER L'INFERNO
DALTON
AREA
BANCO DEL MUTUO SOCCORSO
PIERROT LUNAIRE
PFM (of course)

Hey guys, good to hear about some good prog on a (prog)metal band's forum...

My personnal favourites are:

Any Genesis album between 1971-1976
Yes between 72-74
King Crimson - Red
Anglagard - Hybris (a band from the 90s recreating the style , they are sick...)
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia (but I'm sure you all know this one)

thanks for the recommendations guys, I needed some good music to listen to...
headbob.gif

Tony

KennonKun said:
H.P. Lovecraft was a writer.
there is a band named H.P.Lovecraft and I have their live album (1968 or sth) and it's great! mostly instrumentals, but there are also some vocals that are sung flawlessly.

about the hammonds, i know it was usual and very common thing for every prog70s band to have them, but it seems i just haven't got used to them. yet. too guitar-based music distorted my brain:)

somebody mentioned Anekdoten, i have listened their new1 yesterday, very very good1.

Can are quite known, I think. me bro digs them big time.

somebody heard Fantasy - Paint a Picture? what is it like?