rare prog from early 70s

Fantasy was one of the bands i was going to list up there, but i listed "T2" instead, for they are very very similar, and if you like one, youll most definitely like the other. Its mellow and melodic prog, with great textures, and tons of mellotron and symphonic flourishes. highly recommened...along with T2 and Indian Summer...all 3 are in a very similair vein.

Rather than me list all these bands, just post which ones here youre interested in, and ill give you a decent review and recommendation for them, i love exposing people to this amazing genre...hoping it will do the same for them as it has done for me, and still is. :cool:

and for the other topic at hand...yes, H.P. lovecraft was a writer, which inspired the band name which he is referring to. a good band indeed, his description was fine...so i wont add anymore to it. Mostly instrumental, and very interesting...definitely worth checking out.

haha, loreena mckennitt? are you fool? we're not talking about commercial folk music :p

anyway, let's get out from the hat another masterpiece: CLARK-HUTCHINSON - A=MH2

Caravan and Soft Machine were both formed from the remains of The Wilde Flowers.

Soft machine is a great jazz prog band, their album "third" is absolutely essential, featuring 3 quite long songs of very interesting music with brass instruments and querky textures and changes.

Caravan, is one of my absolute favorite bands of the genre. They helped forge the "canterbury" sound...which was a sub genre describing the canterbury located prog bands of the early 70s. Typically these bands have a lot of jam sections, solos, funny and querky lyrics, mellow vocals, and tons of melody. One of my favorite sub genres of prog rock. Caravan themselves have at least 5 solid releases with this sound..most notably "In The Land Of Grey And Pink"...which im sure you recognize now :p As well as "for girls who grow plump in the night" and "If i could do it all over again, id do it all over you" and "Waterloo Lily".

If you want some more great canterbury bands...check out "National Health", "Hatfield And The North", and of course "Camel".

opethpainter said:
in the land of grey and pink is one of my fave masterpieces

ditto. the vibe and feel of that album still changes my life everytime i listen to it. my favorite track is the 20 minute epic "nine feet underground"...so many good melodies and solos and jam sections.

Black Winter Day said:
cool, thanks! and i have some camel, but i had no idea they were canterbury!

well, they arent directly canterbury all together, but the sound they played often fit into that category, so more times than often they were referred to as a canterbury sounding band. its sort of like "is opeth melodic death metal or is opeth progressive death metal?" :p

Hey Land of Grey And Pink, could you recommend me some good bands that sound something like Nektar?? Is Nektar Canterbury??? Or do you know any bands that play lots of ballad type of songs, kind of like Camel's Mystic Queen, Air Born, etc???? That would be great, thanks.

Absolutely my good man...i live for this shit.

Nektar is NOT canterbury though, they are from germany and helped for the "Krautrock genre". Canterbury is referring only to the english (canterbury area) bands, such as the ones ive listed previously in this thread.

For more bands like Nektar...check out the following bands for starters:

Novalis (sung in german, but similar musically to nektar).
Triumvirat (this band became very popular in the USA and abroad as well...due to their english vocals despite being german and undeniably catchy melodies in the majority of their songs...ESSENTIAL! Grobschnitt is also a great band, very symphonic and melodic, with cool concepts on some albums.

id also check out "Focus"...theyre from denmark, but absolutely amazing all the same...and somewhat similar to the Nektar or "krautrock" sound.

If you like those, then i have some more extreme and experimental german krautrock bands for you to check out. just let me know if youre interested.

As for bands a lot like camel's mellower stuff....i have dozens of bands you could try, but heres some starters:

Dancer - Tales Of The Riverbank
Matching Mole - Self Titled
Fantasy - Paint A Picture
Cressida - Self Titled
T2 - itll all work out in boomland

All these bands do have harder songs, like camel...but many are mellow and chock full of melody like the "mystic queen" or "air born" examples you requested.

Hope you enjoy these, let me know if you need some help finding MP3s, ill see what i can do for ya! :cool:

yes, nektar is indeed great.

and id have to agree about hackett's solo work....voyage of the acolyte is my favorite.

As for kaipa...theyre decent swedish mid 70s prog with some solid guitar work. stolt from flower kings was in it.

as for lindh par and bjorn johannson...im not very much into modern prog bands. the only ones i really like are:

anekdoten
anglagard
opeth
porcupine tree
paatos
etc

Leper_/-\ffinity said:
COol man, thanks for all the suggestions, I have heard and do enjoy Focus and Cressida already, and I will check out the other ones now.

No problem, its my pleasure. I would rather talk about this subject/genre than any other...so just let me know if anyone needs help/suggestions with bands! :D

Well, actually I could use some mp3's of some of these bands that you mentioned, since I was only able to find Triumvirat. It was great though, awesome keyboard playing.

Land of Grey and Pink, are you on the HUB??? Or do you use DC++ at all, and if so, which hubs??