Rate/advice on my tone :)

diseasedmind

Nov 29, 2005
Hey guys.

been using Amplitube 3 for a while, but saw an awesome youtube video of the Engl sim, TSE X30, so i figured i'd give it a go and to be honest i love the result!
But wanted you guys opinion on what i can do to make it better!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/632671/Guitar%20mix%20with%20Engl%20Sim.mp3

I'm using TSS, into the TSE X30, inpulse loader, and a grind impulse i found, i believe it's part of the awesometime package?

Anyway, look forward to hearing your constructive criticism!

Edit: advice on EQing would be great!

Sam

After listening on just cheap headphones, I think the tone by itself sounds pretty good. I would suggest you put it in context of drums and bass in a mix for us to get a better idea of how it sounds. How a tone sounds raw vs. in an actual mix are two different beasts to tame.

Right, re-uploaded, still same link.
Excuse the sloppy as hell playing, i lost the mix and just recorded this quickly to show you guys.

Is there bass on the track? If so, I can't hear it -- it might just be my shitty earbuds. Aside from the mix being thrown together and unbalanced volume wise (the guitars are way too loud), I think the tone is good. I dig that sort of raw gritty tone you're getting. It seems pretty balanced and not too scooped. The TSEX30 is awesome and I think you have a good start here. I think you should spend some time putting together a full song or something with this. I think with the right levels and some slight EQ this will be great. Just my two cents.

Cheers mate!
i'm not using any form of monitors hear...Logitech speakers with a crap load of bass, so even if i don't have a bass guitar in the mix, it sounds like there is on my speakers! Haha. there is a bass there but to be honest it is low in the mix and you're right the guitars are too, loud!
Should be getting the mighty Steven Slate drum VST soon too (when funds permit)
I will finish the song off, try and tweak the levels and repost to see what you think!

Sounds good man. Like I said i'm using some really crappy earbuds at work so it's hard for me to hear some of the intricacies of what's going on at different frequencies. I'm guessing the frequencies at the high end might be kind of harsh, so maybe adding a couple highpass and lowpass filters and tweaking EQ in some ranges might be needed later. Maybe someone else here actually listening to this on monitors right now could provide you with some more accurate feedback.

After listening to this again, there's definitely something going on with it making it sound really scratchy at some frequencies. Idk what it is. Do you have any type of noise gate on at all? Or do you have like a ISP Technologies Decimator Noise Reduction Pedal? Are you using Active pickups? The same thing happens to me (I use EMG 81's) whenever I track sitting directly in front of my computer. For some reason my pickups pick up this harsh scratchy frequency from my computer monitor. Or maybe you have some sort of feedback issue. The tone itself sounds good, but once you get rid of that annoying frequency issue, I think you might be good. :)