RATE MY SONG!

MAXMEDLOW

Maximum
Oct 18, 2010
Gloucester, UK
ayup! just wanted some feedback on pretty much every aspect of this song XD

basically, what you think of the song...but more importantly, what do you think of the mix? i think it sounds great, but constructive criticism would be amazing right now! thanks alot p.s. ive not finshed writing the song yet, but this will give you an idea of what the production will sound like.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/13612676/oldscool.mp3

The guitars are to compressed, kinda pumping. And you can actually hear cuts here and there that you should try to remove.
And overall I would want a fatter drum sound, but I guess you're going for the Lamb of god sound so for that it might work well but bring them more into the mix.

I am not as clued up as many on this forum, but to my mind the guitar tone is good, what it needs is more bass filling in the lower frequencies, and help from the cymbals encasing it. A lot of metal tones are surprisingly middy on their own, then the bass locks in and gives it the bottom end. Snare might not be to everyone's taste but it cuts well and I like it. I'm not certain I love the kick sound, it could do with some filling out because the click of it seems a bit thin coming through against the heavy compression of the guitars and vocals; makes it sound like it doesn't quite belong. I'd bring the crashier splashier cymbals up in the mix if you can because it will strengthen the presence of the kit. Drum machines are hard because you don't want to showcase them too much since they'll never sound like a real person, but that's what I'd do. I know because we've just done our new song Grinding Down The Sun with one. Since I'm reviewing your song and giving it a coupla listens I'd be grateful if you'd do the same with ours, it's in the link!
A lot of your riffs are distinctive, they have a certain twist about them that catches the ear, which is good. Decapitated-ish intro, the half-step drop that's so classic to metal sets your stall out, it's from the slower part of the song that interesting things are happening IMO. that very heavy vocal over the sliding open riff jars a little for me, but it could grow with future listens. I like that a lot of it is instrumental, are you planning to put more vocals on it? It's the kinda song I can see as a template to a style that would run well through a whole album. It's different from a lotta stuff, mainly thanks to the moody atmospherics that run through its middle section, and the ending is suitably berzerk riff-wise (nevermore an influence?) to give a great pay-off to that, so, overall, good job.

I am not as clued up as many on this forum, but to my mind the guitar tone is good, what it needs is more bass filling in the lower frequencies, and help from the cymbals encasing it. A lot of metal tones are surprisingly middy on their own, then the bass locks in and gives it the bottom end. Snare might not be to everyone's taste but it cuts well and I like it. I'm not certain I love the kick sound, it could do with some filling out because the click of it seems a bit thin coming through against the heavy compression of the guitars and vocals; makes it sound like it doesn't quite belong. I'd bring the crashier splashier cymbals up in the mix if you can because it will strengthen the presence of the kit. Drum machines are hard because you don't want to showcase them too much since they'll never sound like a real person, but that's what I'd do. I know because we've just done our new song Grinding Down The Sun with one. Since I'm reviewing your song and giving it a coupla listens I'd be grateful if you'd do the same with ours, it's in the link!
A lot of your riffs are distinctive, they have a certain twist about them that catches the ear, which is good. Decapitated-ish intro, the half-step drop that's so classic to metal sets your stall out, it's from the slower part of the song that interesting things are happening IMO. that very heavy vocal over the sliding open riff jars a little for me, but it could grow with future listens. I like that a lot of it is instrumental, are you planning to put more vocals on it? It's the kinda song I can see as a template to a style that would run well through a whole album. It's different from a lotta stuff, mainly thanks to the moody atmospherics that run through its middle section, and the ending is suitably berzerk riff-wise (nevermore an influence?) to give a great pay-off to that, so, overall, good job.

cheers for the feedback fps...

yeah, that scream at the beginning is really beginning to piss me off now :L i thought i liked it but now i dont lol. i have taken it out, but theres no real point in my reuploading it on here just for that one small thing.

and what you were saying about the kick drum....do you reckon i need a whole new sample, or do you think it should just come down in the mix? i would try it all now, but im in college, so i cant do it for another 6 hours ;)