Rate my sound, constructive criticism wanted ...

Guitarbene

New Metal Member
Mar 12, 2012
Hi, i've been working on that sound for quite a while now and i can't tell anymore what is good or bad on it... so here it is, your constructive criticism is appreciated...

Drums are made with Superior Drummer (Base and snare triggered seperately), Guitars and Bass all DI with amp sims and impulse loaders

oh and from 1:30 on (you can see the waveform becoming smaller) is no bass on the record... so just guitars and drums (if you need to hear the difference to give recommendations)

cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
way. to. go. man!

this sounds really awesome!

it has a little bit of that ross robinson vibe. there are a couple things, like the drums are all cattywompus... i would pay closer attention to the stick attack on the cymbals as well as lowering the dynamic range of that snare a bit more. the kick sounds really nice with that bass. there are some small mixing choices i would've made differently ...but it's just an opinion and i could be totally wrong, which would make or break the song altogether.

but! ...i think you have a great ear for cool sounding music.

this shit sounds really wild and you should be really proud of it! :)

thanks man! some questions:

what do you mean by paying closer attention to the stick attack? making it more random?

when you say the drums are all cattywompus: does that mean like they're kinda unplayable cause it's all crossed in impossible ways? (sorry i'm not a native english speaker...and urban dict is not too specific on that word ;-) )

what are your small different mixing choices? I'd be interested to try them out in a separate mix

thanks for your help and your plaudit ;)

firstly, when i say "cattywompus" ...it's just a ridiculous term for "everywhere" ...some of the cymbals sound like they were added in. it doesn't seem realistic.

second, the stick attack on the cymbals can be subdued by simply using a limiter on them. you can also use a transient designer to reduce the sharp attack in those cymbals.

i think you can do the same with the snare. apply a transient designer and a limiter to bring down some of the dynamic range. also, a popular method with snares is by using a "clipper" plugin. this will allow you to preserve the attack while still limiting the dynamic range.

some choices i would have made a little different: bring some of the bass back. use a limiter on the guitars and bass, instead of a compressor. there is a lot of "pumping" in my opinion. the drums don't come through as much as i think they should. bringing the cymbals down a little bit will help a little.

but mainly, the bass is really loud in the mix and should come down a little bit. i like the way the guitars sound, but i wonder how they would sound a little bit louder and with a hp filter (around 150-200hz).

the important thing is filtering. i would suggest using a high pass filter on every channel and start filtering out "mud" ...imo, anything 30hz (+/-) is non-musical content and anything around 40-50hz can be enhanced. so applying a high pass filter on most of your channels will help alleviate any muddy-crap in your instruments.

also, there is some mid-range lacking a bit in the mix. i don't know if you used a multi band compressor but i would suggest going back and boosting some mids in certain places.

hope this makes any sense. ;)

this all makes a lot of sense ;) as soon as i applied changes and feel that it improved i will upload the results! thanks mate

ok here it goes... added transient designers to base and snare, also another comp to the snare... did low cuts on all the tracks, limited every track (L2), boosted the guitars a bit with a maximizer, lowered the cymbal volume, also added some transient design to the cymbals ... don't know if i forgot something else i did o_O

//edit: i realized, that the sound of the bounce uploaded on soundcloud sounds a bit different than what i hear in Logic... why is that? i unchecked every kind of normalization and so on before the bounce.. it should sound just the same... or is it because i bounced it to an mp3?

Last edited by a moderator: