constructive criticism needed... rate my sound please

Guitarbene

New Metal Member
Mar 12, 2012
please pick a guitartone/mix version you like better first :)

or

I'd appreciate every form of specific propositions on what to change, to make it sound better :)

fyi: this is all processed digitally... no mic's used for that recording... (drums are programmed...)

cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
2nd definitely. guitar and bass definitely fit well together (well glued). I would say though, that the toms sound like paper, or like your smacking some girls boobage with a flat piece of wood. Kick....well, all I hear out of it is the click. Maybe make some more room for the kick in the 60-70hz region. Cymbals sound like complete dog shit, but that is honestly probably the program you are using.

first: thanks :)

Alright, will do the cuts for the kick...

cymbals: i'm using sup drummer with metal foundry... any specific propositions on what to do here?

toms: lol :D what to do about that ^^? The samples are played by sup drummer too...

thanks for your help

here's a new sample... changed the kick sample and mixed it new... probably i totally messed it up ^^ think i had to much hearing today... so sample 7, 8 or 9 ???

Last edited by a moderator:
Almost there as far as the kick. The Cymbals just might be HP'sd a little too much. Just sounds a little thin. Also, the bass and guitar sound a little dark. Maybe add a tad of brightness to the guitar at around 7-8khz, and add 2-3khz on bass. Just try that and see what it sounds like....it may sound like shit, or make it sound good.

One more thing lol. The velocity changes on the cymbals was a good idea, but when I used Superior Drummer I found that when I had say...(1st hit at 127, then the rest at 123-126) it would be way too inconsistent. It just loses energy if you know what I mean. I always kept th velocity at 127. Others on this forum would disagree, it just sounds like the drummer is too inconsistent. Good mix for sure, and the music is great too.

the hell is wrong with your guitars!? why pan them 30-30? they also sound like white noise' i can barely tell what youre playing

the hell is wrong with your guitars!? why pan them 30-30? they also sound like white noise' i can barely tell what youre playing

well that is not quite constructive... i'm not a professional producer, i learned everything by google and just trying... i recorded both guitars twice (so 4 tracks overall)... the panning is:

Git 1 L: -22
Git 1 R: +21
Git 2 L: -47
Git 2 R: +46

Why i did that? I have no idea! I did it, cause it sounded good and seemed to improve and widen up the sound! Again, i do everything by just trying out and googling...

Also i don't understand what you mean by "they sound like white noise"... (though i know what white noise is)...

Please try giving constructive criticism, not just throwing those things in my face... i appreciate your opinion, but i came here to get help improving my sound, not to just hear that my sound apparently sucks...

Also i don't understand what you mean by "they sound like white noise"... (though i know what white noise is)...

I don't necessarily agree, but i can see what he is trying to say, even if he was being a dick about it. They sound a bit scratchy to me, not like freaking white noise. and it'd be nice to know how to get rid of that right? as opposed to me just saying they sound scratchy. when my guitars are a bit edgy i like to make a scoop at 4k. it takes some fuzziness out. also if you slightly and i mean slightly roll off the top a bit, that could help, on the other hand, it might not work at all.