Rate This Guitar Solo

Rate This Guitar Solo

• Acceptable

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Unacceptable

Votes: 29 96.7%

• Total voters
Loving the punchiness of that kick. Times like these I just sit back and let them do it. Gotta face the fact that the majority of bands you record will never go anywhere, let alone last another year. This is their moment to feel like a guitar hero and show all their guitar ignorant friends their 'crazy solo'. Sometimes I'll make suggestion, or put it to the rest of the band that it sucks and should be changed, but if they're all mega enthused, well, it's their cd. Maybe the one they'll remember when they're 50. Let em have their moment. Gay as it may be.

0:00 - 0:05: O hey, cool crunchy riffs and nice drumwork. :worship:
0:05 - 0:20: Alright, the solo kicks in. Slow and soft melodies. Not bad. :)
0:20 - 0:30: Things start to speed up a little, still with nice melodies. :)
0:30 - 1:35: :puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke::puke:

I think the first note of the solo hits a bit late, and from 32 seconds onward he is just hitting every single possible bad note he can find on the guitar. Also all the tremolo picking stuff... his consistency is a bit off. Is he playing on the bridge pick-up? Maybe switch to the neck instead to make it sound a bit smoother.

IT JUST KEEPS GOING :lol:

What amarshism said though, you have to chose your battles. The mix is sweet though, love the kick.

The solo idea is not bad, until he goes Kirk Hammet at 1:20, but there are notes off all over the place and I died a little after each one of them. Either tell him to fix those notes or melodyne them and fuck it. The way it is right now kills the song. And the ending is just horrible.

Around 0:37 the guitar solo is clearly out of tune with the music, same at 0:46 and a bunch of other places I didn't write down. I used Melodyne for the first time about a month ago on a solo a friend of mine laid down on a song of mine awhile ago. He clearly had some notes off from bad intonation and I fixed them later and it ended out coming out pretty good.

Why not take a couple of bars that are really bad and fix them with Melodyne and then show them to the guitar player so he can hear how much better it sounds? Then he can relearn his solo with the corrected notes and replay it.

Well, time for the guitarist to sit and try to realize he needs to understand what he's doing before pretending to be a leadguitarist or whatsoever you could name a guy who plays guitar solos in a band. It might be a solo but there's nothing going on here. A solo is like a story. Like a song in itself. There's a start, a middle part and an end. You have to build up something there. Brian May once said that "the solos should be the most overdriven points of the song".
It's true the intention is good though. And I agree with all of what Anarchism wrote. But damn I guess as I producer you don't want to release that. Can any of you think of examples of the productor applying his veto to release a track, cd he's not happy with because of the artists' performance. We're on the borders of deontology talks here. ;p

I would be you I'd just say: "Man, it's terrible. If you wanna record a solo, then do something good. It has to bring something to the song. And it hasn't got to be fast. It can be melodic too. Because nobody will be wanting to hear that song just not to hear that guitar solo. You're making fun of yourself."

I know it's hard but everybody can't be Jeff Loomis or whoever. You're doing music first.

I've thought about fixing it, but I've decided not to. It s really not worth it. These guys are from a small town and play a couple of local shows every now and then. Not many people are going to hear this, outside of their hometown probably. I have plenty of other recordings I can use for my portfolio.

The main problem I have, is dealing with their ego's. On a previous song, I told him he was out of tune during a solo, very much like this one. I recommended some notes he could play that were in key, and his response was, "This is how it is supposed to be. Everyone complements my solo's after shows, so don't tell me I need to change my solo's." After that, I just thought, "fine buddy, you play what you want and see how far it gets you." Nobody in the band would back me up in trying to get better solo's either, so they will just have to live with it too.

Besides, too many shitty musicians get edited into something they are not WAY too often these days. I got paid, and the band is happy, so that is that.

edit: By the way, I appreciate the tips for trying to make it sound better! However, based on their attitude, they are going to get exactly what they put into it.

I hoped this was a joke...

It's the worst solo i've ever heard... :OMG:

The solo is 95% out of tune... You should advise him to learn the basic pentatonic...

It's a shame because all the backing track seems to be really good.

I've thought about fixing it, but I've decided not to. It s really not worth it. These guys are from a small town and play a couple of local shows every now and then. Not many people are going to hear this, outside of their hometown probably. I have plenty of other recordings I can use for my portfolio.

The main problem I have, is dealing with their ego's. On a previous song, I told him he was out of tune during a solo, very much like this one. I recommended some notes he could play that were in key, and his response was, "This is how it is supposed to be. Everyone complements my solo's after shows, so don't tell me I need to change my solo's." After that, I just thought, "fine buddy, you play what you want and see how far it gets you." Nobody in the band would back me up in trying to get better solo's either, so they will just have to live with it too.

Besides, too many shitty musicians get edited into something they are not WAY too often these days. I got paid, and the band is happy, so that is that.

edit: By the way, I appreciate the tips for trying to make it sound better! However, based on their attitude, they are going to get exactly what they put into it.
Fuck it. Finish your job, get your money and save that album for future laughter :D