Ratings do you think they are good?

Without fleshing it out a bit you're bordering on ad hom.

Do you even know what an ad hominem is?

Blowtus said:
Where? 'Shit analogy' I could have run with, but the only false dichotomy I raised was in the purposefully so, sarcastic comment at the end... perhaps some tone was missed :)

The point was that if parents are somehow expected to fully investigate everything themselves in order to be 'good parents' then the place would stop functioning and anyone trying to be 'good' would end up 'fucking terrible'. Rational acceptance of the modern world and our own limitations leads to focusing ones attention and effort on areas where significant gains are made based on such effort.

I took you to be suggesting that either we have the government regulating things left and right or else everything is up to consumers to take care of and we're basically all fucked, which is clearly a false dichotomy. But maybe I was wrong.

Where? 'Shit analogy' I could have run with

I was going to call you out on your "shit analogy," but it wasn't really worth the effort.

Besides, I agree that parents shouldn't have to go and see a film before deciding whether or not their children should see it. I do, however, believe that they should investigate a film before blindly doing so; it's not that hard to check out a newspaper, magazine, or the internet to see a film's content.

I was going to call you out on your "shit analogy," but it wasn't really worth the effort.

Besides, I agree that parents shouldn't have to go and see a film before deciding whether or not their children should see it. I do, however, believe that they should investigate a film before blindly doing so; it's not that hard to check out a newspaper, magazine, or the internet to see a film's content.

That true Einherjar you can find stuff about movie content on the internet,newspaper, or magazine and they can check whatever it good for their kids to see.

There as been times where parents blame video games like Doom and Vice City because their kids shoot a another kid.

"every image has an audience"

it's not that the violent video games make people become violent, it's that violent people buy violent video games

"every image has an audience"

it's not that the violent video games make people become violent, it's that violent people buy violent video games

I know most people who buy games like GTA are not really that violent.The people that shoot the kid were violent before the parents bought them the game.Violence has been around since the birth of humans so I think its stupid that people blame violence in video games when people like Hitler didn't have them and were just as bad as people were today.When my sister boyfriend came over last night,I asked him if he think ratings are good.He said that there good if your a parents.I had a long talk telling him why I think ratings are bad and how onilne sites and newpapers should have the things that will warn the parents.

I know most people who buy games like GTA are not really that violent.The people that shoot the kid were violent before the parents bought them the game.Violence has been around since the birth of humans so I think its stupid that people blame violence in video games when people like Hitler didn't have them and were just as bad as people were today.When my sister boyfriend came over last night,I asked him if he think ratings are good.He said that there good if your a parents.I had a long talk telling him why I think ratings are bad and how onilne sites and newpapers should have the things that will warn the parents.
Most people in general are not that violent, but many are still attracted to violent movies, games and / or music. Consequently, using those interests as a profiling device is inadequate at best and misguided at worst. Admittedly, violent people will be attracted to it as well, but the majority of the audience is still overwhelmingly non-violent.

There was also a story in the news a while ago about a Christian family who forbid their disabled son from playing violent video games, including Halo, so he was basically limited to playing sports games which, as any video gamer can tell you, have very little appeal from the beginning and even less replay value. Anyway, he eventually bought a copy of Halo and smuggled it into his house, but his dad confiscated it from him and locked it in a box with the family handgun. A month or so later, the boy obtained the key from wherever his father was hiding it, walked into the living room and shot both of his parents in their heads. Police ended up catching him a few hours later in his parents' car with Halo sitting on the passenger seat. In this case, it seems his violent behavior was a reaction to oppression rather than exposure to violence, as his friend and thousands of other people who play Halo regular have never shot anyone. Ironically, letting him play violent video games could have either prevented him from behaving violently, or prolongued it. If the latter is true, then I'm glad he was caught after shooting his parents, rather than flying under the radar long enough to shoot some students instead.

Most people in general are not that violent, but many are still attracted to violent movies, games and / or music. Consequently, using those interests as a profiling device is inadequate at best and misguided at worst. Admittedly, violent people will be attracted to it as well, but the majority of the audience is still overwhelmingly non-violent.

There was also a story in the news a while ago about a Christian family who forbid their disabled son from playing violent video games, including Halo, so he was basically limited to playing sports games which, as any video gamer can tell you, have very little appeal from the beginning and even less replay value. Anyway, he eventually bought a copy of Halo and smuggled it into his house, but his dad confiscated it from him and locked it in a box with the family handgun. A month or so later, the boy obtained the key from wherever his father was hiding it, walked into the living room and shot both of his parents in their heads. Police ended up catching him a few hours later in his parents' car with Halo sitting on the passenger seat. In this case, it seems his violent behavior was a reaction to oppression rather than exposure to violence, as his friend and thousands of other people who play Halo regular have never shot anyone. Ironically, letting him play violent video games could have either prevented him from behaving violently, or prolongued it. If the latter is true, then I'm glad he was caught after shooting his parents, rather than flying under the radar long enough to shoot some students instead.

random people buy the type/style of game that they want to play as opposed to buying the game your best freind has with the content of the game seriously affecting personality