Ratings do you think they are good?

Badbird

Never banned
Oct 14, 2009
Ayn Rand is dead hahahahaha
We all know ratings for video games,movies and tv shows but do you think there are good or useless?I think ratings are useless because there are movies that I have seen that had lots of violence with no gore and gets pg13 but if you have a nude body or said the f bomb 2 times its rated r.Parents today should go on the inernet to see if the movie is good for there kids or not and droped the rating system altogether.

We all know ratings for video games,movies and tv shows but do you think there are good or useless?I think ratings are useless because there are movies that I have seen that had lots of violence with no gore and gets pg13 but if you have a nude body or said the f bomb 2 times its rated r.Parents today should go on the inernet to see if the movie is good for there kids or not and droped the rating system altogether.

i agree
when the "southpark" movie first came out, i was at the theater the opening day, and everyone going to see that movie (the opening day at least) were parents taking their todler kids to see it, thinking that because it was animated, that it was a "kids movie"
and of course that was totally irrisponsible, i feel that parents should watch the movie by themselves first to see if it's a movie that they're gonna be comfortable with their kids watching, and because it was based on a telivised cartoon they should have watched the cartoon for themselves first before they see the movie,

i feel like parents should see a theatrically released movie for themselves before taking their kid(s) to see the movie INSTEAD of parents relying on the movie rating system, which in the case of the southpark movie, they ignored anyway

i agree
when the "southpark" movie first came out, i was at the theater the opening day, and everyone going to see that movie (the opening day at least) were parents taking their todler kids to see it, thinking that because it was animated, that it was a "kids movie"
and of course that was totally irrisponsible, i feel that parents should watch the movie by themselves first to see if it's a movie that they're gonna be comfortable with their kids watching, and because it was based on a telivised cartoon they should have watched the cartoon for themselves first before they see the movie,

i feel like parents should see a theatrically released movie for themselves before taking their kid(s) to see the movie INSTEAD of parents relying on the movie rating system, which in the case of the southpark movie, they ignored anyway

That true I have seen parents taking their kids to rated r movies and complain that it was bad for their kids when they should have been warned that it was rated r which tell you something but they are blind.There as been times where parents blame video games like Doom and Vice City because their kids shoot a another kid when it wasn't the games fault but it was the parents not watching the kids where their going to buy.These ratings systems are bullshit that tells people this is good for your kids or bad when the parents don't pay attention to the ratings and see it with their kids and see crussing, violence and nudity and leave the theather asking for their money back.

I understand why the ratings system is necessary, but I don't think the current system is adequate. Too much emphasis is placed on whether or not it's appropriate for a certain age group, but too little consideration is given to why. Personally, I'd rather just be given access to a discretionary content list, so I can make my own decision about whether or not it's appropriate. If I'm still unsure, I can just watch it myself to be sure.

Hell yeah... and everyone should employ their own food analyst chemist types to check the food their eating rather than relying on governmental oversight of what ingredients are allowed in food. Fuck living as part of the world I can go it alone! :lol:

I understand why the ratings system is necessary, but I don't think the current system is adequate. Too much emphasis is placed on whether or not it's appropriate for a certain age group, but too little consideration is given to why. Personally, I'd rather just be given access to a discretionary content list, so I can make my own decision about whether or not it's appropriate. If I'm still unsure, I can just watch it myself to be sure.

When they give ratings they will say why it has this rating but they don't tell you that much and blinded parents bring their kids to something like saw and complan that it has too much gore when the rating was given.I aggre with you that parents should watch the movie before they make the choice whatever it alright for their kid or it not ok for their kid to watch this movie.

Films should be given no rating by the MPAA, which is a harmful institution. Films should be given "approximate" ratings (including a brief list of content, i.e. violence, nudity/sexuality, etc.) by critics and film reviewers, which parents/guardians can read in newspapers, magazines, and on the internet. Then they can make an educated decision on whether or not to allow their children to see a film.

Personal responsibility is a mindset, not a specific action.

Anyone got any decent data on the effects of movies on children / youth? I don't but I'm inclined to view it as fairly unimportant, so relying on an easy to use and relatively consistent system as a guide to content doesn't seem problematic.

When they give ratings they will say why it has this rating but they don't tell you that much and blinded parents bring their kids to something like saw and complan that it has too much gore when the rating was given.I aggre with you that parents should watch the movie before they make the choice whatever it alright for their kid or it not ok for their kid to watch this movie.
I'm familiar with the current layout of the ratings diagram, but I don't like the way they're organized. They have a giant alphanumeric rating of G, PG, PG-13, R, or NC-17, combined with a box containing descriptions such as "nudity, breif sexual humor, drug use, mild peril, etc," yet this discretionary content label occupies so little space that it might as well be fine print. I'm skeptical over whether or not most people even realize that it's there.

For example, I heard a story while ago about a woman who was giving a Walmart employee a hard time because she bought an "M" rated game for her son and was furious that the employee didn't warn her about the content.

For example, I heard a story while ago about a woman who was giving a Walmart employee a hard time because she bought an "M" rated game for her son and was furious that the employee didn't warn her about the content.

You think every institutionalised system should be impervious to deadshits?

Government institutionalized systems are for deadshits, generally speaking. And personally responsibility is a mindset, and one that is severally lacking. Government institutions are bought and paid for, and a piss poor excuse for any kind of "protection".

The regulations that generally stop cheap shit highrises falling down and killing people are for deadshits? What about ones that prevent / reduce the spread of shitty diseases / animals? How about the transport, communication, and energy networks, you'd be much better off going it alone on all those fronts yeah?

I don't expect that any system, no matter how theoretically fool proof, will be completely impervious to misunderstandings. That's just an example of how one system could be improved upon. Of course most older people aren't going to be familiar with the ESRB unless they, themselves, are gamers and since older people generally don't have the best vision anymore, the discretionary print may just look like smudges to them, while a big black "M" on a white background may not seem overly suspicious.

That doesn't mean that I sympathize with the woman from my earlier story, because she certainly could have asked what the game was about. In fact, that should have been her fist instinct for anything she was buying for her kid.

^ The parents should asked what the game about before they buy it for their kid but that nerver happens alot and then they start bitchin that it has too much violence or sex.A another system that bad is the parental advisory because it tells you nothing on the cover where there can be albums that dont have it and have a lot of things that isn't good for their kids to hear.

Haha, I completely forgot about the Parental Advisory stickers! :lol:

I think that it's either an exclusively American regulation, or each country places their own warnings on domestic albums, but not on exports. I only am guessing this, because I rarely pay for music anymore, after wasting hundreds of dollars on CDs in high school. However, I have noticed that American pseudo-metal bands like Disturbed, Static-X and System of a Down occasionally have advisory stickers on the cover, yet I've never seen one on any Scandinavian brutal death metal import, despite having infinitely more offensive lyrical content and cover art.

On the other hand, the cover art and name of most bands is probably a warning in itself to most parents.

Hell yeah... and everyone should employ their own food analyst chemist types to check the food their eating rather than relying on governmental oversight of what ingredients are allowed in food. Fuck living as part of the world I can go it alone! :lol:

False dichotomy.

Haha, I completely forgot about the Parental Advisory stickers! :lol:

I think that it's either an exclusively American regulation, or each country places their own warnings on domestic albums, but not on exports. I only am guessing this, because I rarely pay for music anymore, after wasting hundreds of dollars on CDs in high school. However, I have noticed that American pseudo-metal bands like Disturbed, Static-X and System of a Down occasionally have advisory stickers on the cover, yet I've never seen one on any Scandinavian brutal death metal import, despite having infinitely more offensive lyrical content and cover art.

On the other hand, the cover art and name of most bands is probably a warning in itself to most parents.

Well that true that something like Deicide is a lot worse for your little kid to be hearing than Disturbed unless your a satan worshipper.
You don't see these stickers for death metal bands is because there not at places like target.I have read a story on Walmart that they won't carry parental advisory albums unless there censor which is dumb since they carry guns but if you hear a f bomb they think it bad.

False dichotomy.

Where? 'Shit analogy' I could have run with, but the only false dichotomy I raised was in the purposefully so, sarcastic comment at the end... perhaps some tone was missed :)

The point was that if parents are somehow expected to fully investigate everything themselves in order to be 'good parents' then the place would stop functioning and anyone trying to be 'good' would end up 'fucking terrible'. Rational acceptance of the modern world and our own limitations leads to focusing ones attention and effort on areas where significant gains are made based on such effort.