Re-amp Noise

UrzaJN

New Metal Member
Dec 16, 2009
So I'm completely new to re-amping, and pretty much recording in general. I'm getting ready to try re-amping for the first time and I set everything up today just to give it a whack.

Here's what I have set up: Guitar DI track in reaper set to send out of a line out of my interface [Firebox] > TS9 > NS 2 > 6505 + Cab > SM 57 > Mic pre on the interface. I arm a track and record from the mic.

The problem I am getting is that there is a ton of noise being created in the process that the NS 2 is not able to cut out. It seems like the interface is making the noise. I would just go through and slice out parts that are just noise but I feel like you can partially here the hum even over guitar parts; which is my concern. :mad:

Here's a quad track of hum if it helps. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6383629/Reamp.mp3

Why not use NS2 before TS9?
But noise it`s not unusual situation with ghetto-reamping (straight from interface), in some cases it works, in other there can be noise.
Noise can be even worse than in sample.

Is the head and the computer in the same electricity? If not, it can create ground trouble, which can introduce all kinds of nasty hiss and noise.

1) Make sure the head and the computer are in the same electricity circuit (not sure of the right term in English, bear with me :))
2) If you haven't got a reamp box available, try using a passive DI box the "wrong" way around after the interface and lifting the ground.

The noise comes from a lack of a reamp box. If the amp and interface are on the same circuit you will have a ground which means the amp need to be coupled from the interface. Only way to do that is by getting a reamp device.

The noise comes from a lack of a reamp box. If the amp and interface are on the same circuit you will have a ground which means the amp need to be coupled from the interface. Only way to do that is by getting a reamp device.

Mine are on the same circuit! Once I split the signal with the Countryman (ground switch on) I got no noise and I'm not using a reamping box! I know there are advantages to using a reamp box, but the result is the same to my ears! I reckon I could reamp with my 6505 near full volume (into my Hotplate) and still have a great signal...I dunno...

To the OP: Just checking, when you create a hardware send, make sure you're not monitoring the send (generally outputs 1 & 2). Disable master/parent send on the DI track and make sure that you don't have some preferences in your interface setup that might automatically monitor the output.
For example, with my Fast Track Pro, the headphone output is paralled with both the balanced TRS 1 & 2 outputs as well as the unbalanced RCA 1 & 2 outputs. RCA outputs 3 & 4 are independent outputs, so I sent the DI track out on hardware send/output 3 and monitored the input on outputs 1 & 2.
Otherwise you could get a small feedback signal/noise. If you have a Countryman DI, just try what I suggested in the thread I linked to above.
Hope that makes sense?

Mine are on the same circuit! Once I split the signal with the Countryman (ground switch on) I got no noise and I'm not using a reamping box! I know there are advantages to using a reamp box, but the result is the same to my ears! I reckon I could reamp with my 6505 near full volume (into my Hotplate) and still have a great signal...I dunno...

Being on the same circuit is what causes ground loops. Like I mentioned in your thread, the main and only reason IMO for using a reamp box is to get rid of noise, not give you a beter tone, as the input impedance of a guitar amp is more than plenty high no not effect the tone of the reamped signal.