Re-Amping confusion

ApolloSpeed said:
I got a question......could you for say.....run the guitar into a 5150 and mic it up to get the sound on one track.

While doing this, on the 5150 "preamp out" go to the re-amp box on a different track at the same time???

That way you get good monitoring and yet able to re-amp where desired??:loco:

Reamping needs a clean signal (unless the sound of a guitar running through two distorted amps in series is what you're going for :headbang: ). Use a DI box with a thru-put jack. Run the guitar signal into the DI, the line out to board or whathaveyou, and the thru-put to the amp.

Edit: Yeah, what 006 said. :)

Death,
Re-amping through a firepod works great !

Sync your Firepod and setup to an external clock source like a Lavry, Mytek or Apogee and you'll love it even more!

For re-amping, you'd probably want to use something like the Radial JDV for the guitar input. This gives you 2 ins for 2 different guitars and 3 outs of clean class A to which you can attach an amp thru, a clean XLR 600 ohm balanced DI-out to Firepod, A B aux out for a second amp, and a tuner. You get a hi & lo-cut filter a Pickup Drag pot to vary the pickup load (VERY BENEFICIAL TO YOUR TONE!) Polarity flip, 15dB pad and Ground Lift.

Track thru that box and you don't have to worry about any delay running guitar effects in your tracking software and then routing the output to monitors or headphone mix and you can attach directly from it to the amp at the same time.

If you want, you can then track a clean DI for re-amp and 2 (even 3 using the tuner out) other amps driven thru the JDV and then miked, all simultaneously into the FP.

Saw the NAMM demo and the new Firestudio coming this summer is even better. Combining some features of the Presonus Central Station with the Firepod. The FireStudio is an 18 input 18 output firewire recording interface with 8 excellent mic pres, MIDI I/O, SPDIF I/O, word clock, 8 channels of 96K adat (dual SMUX) in/out and a 36x18 DSP matrix routing mixer. Switch between 3 Sets of monitors with desktop remote control and 5.1 surround mode. Talkback, Dim, Mono, Mute and you can connect 3 FireStudios for up to 54 I/O's.

:headbang:

thanks a million 006!! that sure did nail it in my head, wow i didnt know it was sort of an essential tool especially for the smaller bands that cant afford much studio time, i guess i should start learning more about it and yes indeed i think i really need one soon :) , one more thing please do notify me if im wrong but from i understood is that during the recording of the band u simply make them hear a rough guitar sound just for the time sake or whut u mentioned as a "scratch" sound but later on the real work of tweaking the knobs starts when the mixing or mastering stage is on right?

cheers

smrtaz said:
Saw the NAMM demo and the new Firestudio coming this summer is even better. Combining some features of the Presonus Central Station with the Firepod. The FireStudio is an 18 input 18 output firewire recording interface with 8 excellent mic pres, MIDI I/O, SPDIF I/O, word clock, 8 channels of 96K adat (dual SMUX) in/out and a 36x18 DSP matrix routing mixer. Switch between 3 Sets of monitors with desktop remote control and 5.1 surround mode. Talkback, Dim, Mono, Mute and you can connect 3 FireStudios for up to 54 I/O's.

Thanks for the information above about reamping with the Firepod.. What's the projected street price on the FireStudio?

OK GUYS SORRY IM A DUMBASS!!! Ifigured out what the problem was, The outputs on the Firepod are 1/4 balanced and the input on the X-Amp is a XLR so i had to use an adaptor and come to find out not only am i dumb and didnt check but it turns out the adaptor was unbalanced hince the lower level signal. Sorry guys should have checked that right off. but still got some good shit from this thread. and by the way when i record the guitars along with the drums im just recording the uneffected clean tone on guitar, and just inserting guitar rig 2 on the output channel in Nuendo just so you have some distortion wile tracking.

musickey said:
OK GUYS SORRY IM A DUMBASS!!! Ifigured out what the problem was, The outputs on the Firepod are 1/4 balanced and the input on the X-Amp is a XLR so i had to use an adaptor and come to find out not only am i dumb and didnt check but it turns out the adaptor was unbalanced hince the lower level signal. Sorry guys should have checked that right off. but still got some good shit from this thread. and by the way when i record the guitars along with the drums im just recording the uneffected clean tone on guitar, and just inserting guitar rig 2 on the output channel in Nuendo just so you have some distortion wile tracking.

I am still confused. If I am not mistaken a balanced verses an unbalance cable has nothing to do with the output load.

chadsxe said:
I am still confused. If I am not mistaken a balanced verses an unbalance cable has nothing to do with the output load.
balanced =+4dB unbalanced =-10dB........I THINK, at least in this case switching the unbalanced out for a balanced cable fixed my prob and its sounds fucking great!!!

I don't think so. Actually I would bet money on it. The cables carry the same level. You equipment is what outputs between consumer and pro levels.

Doom Monk - yeah, basically. During tracking time I just set them up on our PODxt Pro with a scratch guitar tone, they are playing for real, as if this was the tone they are going to use, however, I'm recording the guiatr DI at the same time to reamp later on. Once they are done playing all of their songs, I then mute the PODxt track altogether, and then send the guitar DI out to the reamp and into their amp, I loop the guitar parts over and over so they can hear their playing through their amp, and we sit there and tweak and tweak for about two hours while they are still there, that way I can make sure we're all happy with the tone. Then once they leave, I start the reamping process and recording their amplifier to replace the PODxt tone. It takes a while depending on the band's songs, since you have to play back the entire track however many guitar tracks you have in order to get the amplifier on there. So say they have 4 guitar tracks per song, and like 10 - 4 minutes songs, then I have to play back each song 4 times, one for each guitar track, 4 minutes per playback....10 times. so 40 minutes times 4 is a few hours, heh.

~006

chadsxe said:
I don't think so. Actually I would bet money on it. The cables carry the same level. You equipment is what outputs between consumer and pro levels.

A typical balanced line cable uses three conductors (connected via TRS or three-pin XLR); two which carry the same signal (one is phase-reversed), and a ground connection. Unbalanced cables don't have the second phase-reversed conductor. When interfacing balanced cables with balanced i/o, you get an additional 6dB, which you won't get when using an unbalanced cable between balanced i/o's. I accept PayPal. :loco:

A Gruesome Discovery said:
A typical balanced line cable uses three conductors (connected via TRS or three-pin XLR); two which carry the same signal (one is phase-reversed), and a ground connection. Unbalanced cables don't have the second phase-reversed conductor. When interfacing balanced cables with balanced i/o, you get an additional 6dB, which you won't get when using an unbalanced cable between balanced i/o's. I accept PayPal. :loco:

Really...

Wow I guess you learn something new every day.

A Gruesome Discovery said:

thanks for the breakdown! i knew it made a difference in the dB rangejust didnt know how:kickass:
now i gotta buy all balanced cables for my racks!! FUCK

ok i have a question about this all. im planning on getting an x-amp this next week for a project ill be starting with my band. I will be using a firepod as well, what output should i use? And will I need the Direct box? Also just another question, with pinch harmonics work the same when the clean signal goes throught the x-amp into the amp? just some questions ive had lately. thanks for any help!!

jordan

deathtotaliban said:
Also just another question, with pinch harmonics work the same when the clean signal goes throught the x-amp into the amp? just some questions ive had lately. thanks for any help!!

Can't help with the rest, but on this one: the pinched harmonics will sound rank and really quiet clean, but once you whack the distortion on, they *should* suddenly reappear and sound fine. If you've used Guitar Rig or Amplitube or whatever, it's essentially the same thing - you're recording a clean signal and putting the distortion on afterwards, and harmonics still work there.

The way it works is this: inside the re-amp box (or whatever), are a small group of 'Harmonic Faeries', which sprinkle their magic faery dust over your guitar signal, thus correcting the... um... flux capacitor...

I don't have a clue - it works, I don't question it :D

Steve

deathtotaliban said:
ok, i dont have the money for the x-amp right now, is there anyway to use just a plain direct box or the like to do the same thing, i read somewhere that u can but im not sure? anyone have any experience with this?

You can try using a passive direct box in reverse. Doesn't work very well though.

ok so i went with the passive direct box running in "reverse" its working great. The DI has a -20db and -40db pad so it really works nicely. There is no difference between playing the guitar directly into the amp or through the clean guitar recorded, no hum or any clipping or peaking. its a great buy. anyway to anyone who wanted a cheap way to reamp until you have money for an x-amp go with a passive direct box and a good balanced cable to use from your DAW, it will work nicely