Re-skinning a kit

Lozek

Nov 9, 2003
London
www.lozek.com
Ok, I've got Mr Kevin Talley coming over in a few weeks to record our album, and I'm about to order skins. I think I've got it nailed, but I'm interested in opinions before I order. Kit is:

Tama Starclassic Birch/Bubinga:
10, 12,14,16,18 Toms (all pretty shallow depth),
22x20 Kick,
14 x 5.5 Birch Snare
14 x 5.5 Brass Snare

So skin wise:

Kick - Batter: Evans Emad 2 - Reso: EQ3
Snare - Batter: Evans Genera Dry - Reso: Evans Hazy 300
Toms - Batter: G2 Coated - Reso: G1

I prefer single ply on the KD batter. Remo Powerstroke 3 for example or the equivalent from Evans (not sure which one it is). Simple CS black dot are ok too.
Toms, coated G2 are great if that's the sound you are going for. I prefer them to coated Emperor. They are more durable, especially the newer 360.
Snare: I keep coming back to the coated G1 or Remo Ambassador. I like the CS reverse dot too and the Evans Black chrome are interesting for something different. (I'd take several options if possible)

have you recorded an Emad before? strangest sounding kick-skin under the mic... i'd play safe and use a powerstroke3 or an eq3. but if you're after the Emad-sound, go for it.

Thanks Guys

have you recorded an Emad before? strangest sounding kick-skin under the mic... i'd play safe and use a powerstroke3 or an eq3. but if you're after the Emad-sound, go for it.

No, I'm a guitarist with a decent amount of recording experience, but not day-in day-out on drums. I also handle the logistics, so it's down to me to make sure we've got what we need.

If you think there's something strange on the EMad, sounds like I might be better off with something a bit more generic that we can control with studio technique.

a couple months ago a drummer brought a brand new emad to the session. in the end we used a two year old eq3 instead of the emad. they sound ok in the room, but miced they are muddy as fuck, no definiton, strange resonances etc.

+1 on the emad, sounds kind of cool in a rehearsal setting but kind of shit under the mic. powerstroke 3 + falam slam is where its at.

Yea I wouldn't go with any of the heads you listed. The single ply kick heads are much better under mics. Powerstroke 3 (aren't the evans eq3's pretty much the same?)

I don't like the Evans dry on snare either. I prefer a G1 or a Remo Ambassador or a Remo CS. The thinner heads give a much better attack and body IME, then control the ring with moongels.

I also wouldn't suggest coated for the toms. I was using coated g2's for a while and switched back to the clear g2's. MUCH happier. The old standby here is the Remo Emperor clear. Basically the same shit. The reso heads you listed are all good.

So, basically what Burny said!