David Gold

Son of the Darkest Blues
Feb 20, 2004
No hometown, Ontario.
www.woodsofypres.ca
1844139247.jpg

RAT SALAD - Black Sabbath: The Classic Years 1969 - 1975
by: Paul Wilkinson

The book is about a lot more than the members of Black Sabbath themselves, but more commentary about the music itself and the world as a whole during those years, the impact the music had on that world, and then modern music and the world today, in comparison.

"There is no underground, and there is no real rebellion, because everybody wants to get rich and no one (really) wants to die trying. No one is interested in art anymore, it's all about careers." - about the present.

If you like 'underground' music, don't like MTV/Muchusic, and you went through a Black Sabbath phase at some point in your life, you'll probably dig this book.

Chapter II... :)

Book of the dead

-

Jamie Russell

Extensive look at Zombie cinema and its origins

Im in Heaven, lol

Hey David, is that Black Sabbath book hard to find, or do you think I would be able to find it at a Chapters store in Toronto or something?

My Black Sabbath phase never ended :) Fucking best metal band I've yet to hear!

I don't buy that shit about everybody being in music as a career! Generalizations like that do more to make the person who wrote them look like an utter asshat than to make any accurate observations about "the scene."

Life of Pi by Canadian author Yann Martel. Its supposed to go into a lot of spiritual insight, but thus far I've just been learning about sloths: i.e. i love it so far :)

right now im reading "Sometime, Never". it's 3 short stories, one by john wyndam anddd i can't remember the rest of the authors.

My Black Sabbath phase never ended :) Fucking best metal band I've yet to hear!

I don't buy that shit about everybody being in music as a career! Generalizations like that do more to make the person who wrote them look like an utter asshat than to make any accurate observations about "the scene."

I agree with you on this. No one starts playing metal to get rich and the only bands who have made a lot of money playing real metal (not including Metallica because they dont play metal anymore) have done so because theyve been around for 25+ years (Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Motorhead, Judas Priest, etc.)

South of the Pumphouse by Les Claypool

I bought this because i used to be a big primus nerd + the book seemed somewhat interesting.
its a decent little story about two brothers and their friend going fishing, one brother moved on to the big city and the other stayed in their hometown.
Im only about half way done but so far the story has mainly been about the brothers thinking back about their youth.

Today I just finished Tim Severin's Viking trilogy.

Awesome books! Historical fiction, following the life of a main character, covering the viking's voyage to Vinland in early 11th Century to the events leading up to the Battle of Hastings in 1066. Anyone interested in the Norse, especially mythology, would love it.

Just finished "Fox At The Front" by Douglas Niles & Michael Dobson

A cool alternate history novel, about Rommel, Patton and how things turned out when the attempted assassination of Hitler in 1944, was actually successfull...

Read about it here: Fox at the Front

"There is no underground, and there is no real rebellion, because everybody wants to get rich and no one (really) wants to die trying. No one is interested in art anymore, it's all about careers." - about the present.

Originally Posted by Demilich
My Black Sabbath phase never ended Fucking best metal band I've yet to hear!

The guy who wrote that is an old guy for sure, but IMO, here's how I read into it: there IS obviously an 'underground' (you're in it right now!), but I do somewhat agree with the old man about the careers thing, in terms of people still intending on playing metal as a 'career' these days, which is just an alternative to a day job (unless you are one of the few who are HUGELY successfull and can earn more $ playing music than your day job would pay). 'That' life is just so much less sustainable for most, now that myspace and downloading have sucessfully brought most all bands down to relatively the same level where their music is conveniently available, free, they are all 'famous' (they are being heard all around the world via the net) and they'll never really make very much money from it, if at all. = Making music/metal will now come back to making art...maybe? Because there will be fewer dillusions about the potential of making money from playing metal/music as an alternative to a day job, there will be less clutter from people/bands attempting to "Go for it!", jumping in and out of the scene during the same 6 months.

I'm reading Hermann Hesse's Steppenwolf in english at the moment. I've read it in finnish long ago and loved it. Also have some Thomas Mann, Milan Kundera and Stephen King waiting for their turn. I'm pretty much always reading something.. Literature is awesome.

I have to read "The Death in Venice" or whatever it's called like by Mann for school. Aswell as "Death of a Salesman" by Miller.

omg, 2 titles embody "death", everyone's dying :( :D

That's a very interesting point. I've always been looking for a positive effect of the whole music downloading scene from 'music's point of view.' This seems to fit. Without money as a prime motivator, music may now be made for the sake of the music itself.

Won't ever happen. Just look at this annoying wave of americanized
emo-gothenburgmetal crap that is being spewed out. (Trivium, Bullet for
my Vallentine, and the millions of bands that sound just like that). Those
bands are making MOOONEY, all from jumping on the bandwagen and playing
the same shitty music as some other band.

The underground will always be filled with bands that actually do what they
do for the love of doing it.

.:crast:.