Read MORE in 2007! Now Reading...

Won't ever happen. Just look at this annoying wave of americanized
emo-gothenburgmetal crap that is being spewed out. (Trivium, Bullet for
my Vallentine, and the millions of bands that sound just like that). Those
bands are making MOOONEY, all from jumping on the bandwagen and playing
the same shitty music as some other band.

Exactly! That's a prime example of a group being in it for MOOONEY.:cool: And you can see the type of the music they put out. A classic case of quantity over quality.

What I was saying is that when bands are not worrying about a paycheque, they can then be motivated by the music itself. This is when it can become a case of quality over quantity. Then the objective is not to make the best paycheque, but to make the best music.

I have to read "The Death in Venice" or whatever it's called like by Mann for school.

I wish I'd have to read Death In Venice for school, it's amazing. You germans have such a rich literacy inheritage, cant but envy it :)

What we have to read in Finland is hundred pages of hardboiled, boring-as-fuck realism in true naturalist style. Much thank to Waltari's historical novels I can live with it, but still makes me long for german romanticism. :)

Yeah, there is quite a lot of good German literature, especially from 1770 to ~1920. But we for example had to read 2 novels by Theodor Fontane and that's pure HORROR. His plain realism without anything really happening bores me to death. His novels might be important if you want to get to know the time from 1870 to 1890 but why did we have to read 2 fucking books of 200 pages with nothing happening? At least he is humorous. Sometimes. Seldom...

Sorry but I don't know any important Finish stuff. We usually read German and English books and in my sparetime I tend to read contemporary literature...

Brave New World is really cool. I read it for an essay of a book that influenced society in some way. It was one of the easiest essays I've ever written, the book had alot to offer for the topic.

For Finnish literature, Waltari is probably the most popular name (the Egyptian was number one foreign bestseller in US for half a century), and then there is alot of folklore like the Kalevala. And too much realism.

hmm... sounds good, maybe I'll check it out sooner!

I wish we had read Brave New World when we had "Dystopian Novels" but no! We just read "A Handmaids Tale" by Margaret Atwood. Suckage...

Alright, thanks for the info David. Now reading, Awakening the Buddhist Heart, I know, may sound corny, but I find it interesting. And by the way, I'm not buddhist, but I like the ideals of it, love and peace, and refraining from anger/violence etc.

Since it's a Canadian band I have to bring up Timonthy Findley. I recently finished Wonderer of the Eternal Dusk (originally tittled Pilgrim) and dear god it was a mindblowing book! One of best I've ever read, and that's alot to say, I love literature. I just wish I had the time to read more of Findley, discovering him was one of the greatest things happened to me in a long time :D

hmm... sounds good, maybe I'll check it out sooner!

I wish we had read Brave New World when we had "Dystopian Novels" but no! We just read "A Handmaids Tale" by Margaret Atwood. Suckage...

I love dystopian novels. I'd recommend:

Atwood's "Oryx and Crake" (a lot better than "The Handmaid's Tale," tbh)
Huxley's "Brave New World"
Orwell's "1984" and "Animal Farm"
Saunders's "The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil"
Thomson's "Divided Kingdom" and "The Book of Revelation"

If anyone knows of anymore that are great, lemme know....

EDIT: Oops, forgot to mention what I'm currently reading. Making my way through Maclean's "A River Runs Through It," which houses two novellas and a short story. The short story is called "Logging and Pimping and 'Your Pal, Jim'" and is great. Don't base your judgement of the book - whether it's worth reading or not - by the movie version of "ARRTI." The read is far superior!

Well, another you might check out is Fahrenheit 451.

I'm on the verge of finishing Moby-Dick

im reading Cell by S. King :), and i still have the 7th part of the dark tower lying on my room, but i dont want to read it cuz i dont want the story to end :(... and my moms friend gave me like 4 novels of crime type of thing but i browse thru and they are horribly boring *sigh* well i wont have time to read literature until april, school just started and my books are quite big :p yay for human anatomy and abnormal psychology.. :p

Since it's a Canadian band I have to bring up Timonthy Findley. I recently finished Wonderer of the Eternal Dusk (originally tittled Pilgrim) and dear god it was a mindblowing book! One of best I've ever read, and that's alot to say, I love literature. I just wish I had the time to read more of Findley, discovering him was one of the greatest things happened to me in a long time :D

Timothy Findley is an amazing author. I highly recommend "The Piano Man's Daughter". Also, if you like Hermann Hesse, "Demian" is quite good.

I'm on the verge of finishing Moby-Dick

I have Moby-Dick unfinished as well. Going through bit slowly becouse I could only find it in english and the sea-man language is a bit strange for me. :) I think I'll manage though.

Timothy Findley is an amazing author. I highly recommend "The Piano Man's Daughter". Also, if you like Hermann Hesse, "Demian" is quite good.

Demian I have read, and loved it. I'll definately check everything I can find from Findley, thanks for the suggestion!

Nice to see so many people are into literature here. Keep up the suggestion and discussion please! It's something really hard to find people who still read. :)

Was on a little bit of a Sabbath kick as well. I've read fellow Canadian music journalist and writer Martin Poppoff's Black Sabbth Book. Black Sabbath - Doom Let Loose It covers the making of every album right up to the 90's albums. It's filled with interesting tidbits of information and lots of pictures and interviews with the various sabbath musicians throughout the years.

1550227319.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V59720113_.jpg

Then I followed it up with:

How Black Was Our Sabbath: An Unauthorised View from the Crew

A nice companion book to Martins. Where Mr Popoff's book is more about the albums and how they were made and the music within this book tells of the Sabbath tours and all the hijynx that went on. Lots of drug and booze filled stories as it chronicles their rise to stardom and fame and to the inevtiable fall as the band begins to shatter from the strain of constant world touring and album making which would eventually lead to Ozzys departure.

Little interesting fact I never knew was that Tony Iommi was in the band Jethro Tull for a few brief months before he went on to form Sabbath. Also Sabbath were good friends with Led Zepplin, in particular Robert Plant and John bonham. They even jammed together but unfortuantly it was never recorded.

0330411942.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1115287679_.jpg

Hey Arcane. That Sabbath book looks cool. I'm going to have to check it out.

Sadly, the only book I've been reading of late is the 2007 version of the Canadian Electrical Code. Fuk it's exciting.

code01.jpg

Just finished:

HL-330887.jpg

"I Believe in Music" Biography by Ikutaro Kakehashi (the founder of Roland Corporation which includes Roland, BOSS, V-Drums, Edirol, + more!).

He lived through WWII, struggled with illness at an early age, became a watchmakers apprentice, founded an electronics company called "Ace Electronics" where in his 40's he was eventually forced out of the company that he himself founded, AND THEN he founded Roland Corporation in the 1970's which has grown to be one of the best (if not THE best!) electronic music instrument company in the world over the last 30 years, and he did all of this without a formal education.

A few of my favourite quotes:

"One of the most interesting yet mysterious capabilities of human memory is that, as time goes by, the recollection of events involving hardship or sadness can transform themselves into pleasant reminiscences."

"Climate and geography play important roles in shaping personality characteristics. Probably the easiest example of this effect is the accuracy of general stereotyping relative to regional and even national characteristics. For example, no one argues with general truth when someones says, "Swiss are meticulous," or "Americans and enthusiastic,", or "Japanese are orderly." What I find interested is why these generalizations tend to be true."

See www.roland.com for more info about Roland and it's products! :)

Orwell's 1984, reading it for school, never read it. I normally read a ton in the summer, but nothing during the school the year, since I don't have the time or patience. I'll start up on the third book of Stephen King's Dark Tower series in the summer, those books are great (well, so far :p)