Reading an analyzer

DaveBlack

Apr 7, 2009
So lets say for example Im smitten with the kick in every way, sounds perfect solo'd. Same with the bass. But my kick is being buried. So I would like to make a complimentary cut in the bass to let the kick through. How can I read an analyzer correctly in order to know where that kick lies so I know which frequencey in the bass to cut? Sorry for the relatively noobish question, but this is something I believe would really benefit me because I'm the type who tries to EQ until my ears fry and I would like to minimize time spent or at least have a somewhat methodical approach to EQ.

Swith frequencies i would say

EX--- Raise the kick at around 80hz and lower it at 150hz
take the bass, make a cut at 80hz and raise 150hz
OORRRR??? Side chain a gate this may be your best bet

right, I know about complimentary and supplementary cuts/boosts but if i could visually tell where that kick "lives", I think I could make a better assesment on where to cut the bass. I could be totally wrong and an analyzer is the wrong tool for the job.

u could try something like voxengo span, but people will eventually tell u to mix with your ears not your eyes, and with everything playing not soloed.

I just have an Analyzer on my master bus all the time and to find out where the kick "lives", I just solo the kick's track and watch the analyzer. Then I would mute the kick first and find tracks that occupy the same frequency range (my muting or soloing one after another). Apply a high-pass filter to all those other tracks and listen if it still sounds right.

@doc - sidechain ducking is defenitely an option but I cant find any tutorials on how to do it in frigin Digital Performer (ugghhh). Thats what the studio I work at uses and I cant stand it.

@rif - That's a good idea!! mute and solo for comparitive purposes would probably give me a better idea of whats going on and how the analyzer is responding.

I would love to completely mix with my ears and I really do trust my own instincts but when Im working with literally 7-10 guitar tracks, 2 bass, 7-10 drum tracks and at least 5 or 6 vocals tracks. its hard to keep track of where everything is.

I would love to completely mix with my ears
Me too, but I don't because they fool me all the time. They collaborate with my nearfield monitors which fool me, too. So the only tool that is honest to me is an analyzer.
I guess, that an analyzer is a good ear training tool, too, because not everybody has been born with golden ears.

Span is the Best by far - but mix without it first, using ears, then use to check problems if theyre audible.

if you're using Reaper, one of their stock EQs (ReaFir) will show you the analysis (if you check the box, lower left). really helpful for me. let's me visualize whatever instrument i'm working on. i'm not sure - but i'm guessing this plug is free even if you're not using Reaper...