Real Cobra

Tachy

Senior Fuckers
Dec 9, 2005
In Italy
I recorded now some stuff with my cobra and this time I mic the cab, form me the result is much better than using impulses,but is just my opinion:
This is the file:

the chain is : jackson with 81- maxon od9 - framus cobra - mesa std cab.

please tell me if you like the tone, and if the tone will work for a real recording.
the guitar sound is no processed by multiban compressors, i add only a high boost.
http://www.untouchablefeeling.net/realcobra.mp3
Don't look at my sloopy playing.....

I like it a little better than the other one. It's clearer. Still gets boomy though during the palm mutes. I like it though. Very tight. Did you just use a single 57? how did you mic it exactly?

I use only a 57 in the centre of the cone,2 track panned 100% l end 100% R....it's boomy becouse i don't adda multiband compressor...but for a real recordind I'll do for shure.

I wish I had to money for another amp. I'm thinking about getting a xxx or 5150 myself. Those cobros are mad expensive. I envy you for having that kind of money. So you miced it in the center of the cone? Damn. When I do that it's fizzy/brittle as hell!

In Itakly the cobra cost 1400 euro, and the 6505 1300 + o -....yes I miced in the centre symply....without not to much attention...v30 sound fantastic for recordings.

you can get the 6505 for 1100 on thomann thinking about getting one but now thinking about the cobra damm so many amps so little time/money

Yeah I think my cab/speaker is really hurting my distorted guitar tone. I am using a mesa f50 combo amp, which is partial open back with a celestion black widow speaker. I think a 4x12 cab with v30's would make a big improvement. I used impulses with that and they sounded better than my miked tone.

I think that 2*12 or 4*12 is irrilevant, but the cone is the most iportant thing...with my marshall 4*12 with gt75 I have a more brutal sound than a recto cab but with my marshall the sound is thin....

yes my setting is :

od9: gain at minimum level-tone at 9:00-level at 3:00

crunch of cobra : gain at 1:00 - treble at 12:00 - presence at 12:00 - bass at 1:00 - midle at 1:00 - volume channel at 3:00 - deep control at 1:00
master volume used at : 10:00

Also I set the bias of the heat at 28-29mV with the stock tubes....

od9: gain at minimum level-tone at 9:00-level at 3:00

crunch of cobra : gain at 1:00 - treble at 12:00 - presence at 12:00 - bass at 1:00 - midle at 1:00 - volume channel at 3:00 - deep control at 1:00
master volume used at : 10:00

thanks...:kickass:

No problem bro you are welcome!! I wont to ask you a thing...you have the 5150? do you prefer the cobra or the 5150?

they're really different. I love the 5150 grind and Cobra's tight clarity. the Cobra's way more versatile though. I end up playing the Cobra more than the 5150 though.

Cheers...

I have a modified Cobra, and the tone is really similar.

Have you ever tested this setup?:

maxing mids, treble, presence and deep; with gain at 1 o'clock and bass at noon, volume channel at 4, master at 4 (notch engaged)

You should test it, the setup may appear retarded, but, just test it and tell me later.
It's the only way I can make the Cobra sound like a dream...
If you want I can post some samples...